This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Last Day Tomorrow...

(17 Posts)
Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 15:55:16

Last day of doing an hour's worth of school runs every morning and afternoon.

Last day of going to toddler groups and classes every day of the week.

Last day of refereeing toddler squabbles and school aged DC's fights.

Last day of cooking for seven people every tea time, and dishing up tea while simultaneously saying goodbye to late parents.

Last day of a car full of car seats, last day of the double buggy.

Last day of my dining room being the playroom.

Last day of changing fifteen nappies a day.

Last day of my DC having to share their space, their stuff and their time.

Last day of 11 hour days with no end to the working day (it feels like).

BUT

Also, the last day of cuddles on tap and throughout the day.

Last day of spending all day with children I love.

Last day of having relative freedom to do what we want during the day.

Last day of spending every day with my own toddler.

Last day of being here when my older DC get home from school.

Last day of not having to pay for childcare.

It's been an absolute privelege to be a CM, and I have enjoyed it, even the shit bits. But I am SO ready to move on.

And I now have four weeks off before I start my new job!

Just tomorrow to go. There may be tears.

Aww mate

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 16:00:19

I have to say, BALDy, it was you and a few others who have been my absolute rock whiel I've been CMing, I#ve been a MNer longer than I've been a CM and I feel like you've all been there for every step of this.

It's been nearly five years but it's had its time, I feel.

Bloody hell I'm going to miss it though.

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 16:00:38

Scuse typos, wriggly toddler on my lap....

Sweetie it's been great to travel with you a bit.

(Off work with silly old broken leg at the mo, bah)

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 16:08:03

Oh crikey! You pore ol' thing. How did you do that?

I am working RIGHT NOW but the little ones are asleep or watching telly and the bigger lot are playing out. So it's coffee and MN time.

I have nine of them tomorrow as school has finished and then THAT'S IT.

Pfft, fell over own feet fgs. On a wkend, no tinies to frighten thank gawd. Spectacular scar, very zip-like, cor. Back to work in 2 weeks. Missed the tinies bless um.

Tomorrow's the day then. You will BAWL.

MUM2BLESS Wed 24-Jul-13 19:32:04

What will you be doing instead? what made you decide thats it, any one think (I know you listed loans) how long were you cm for?

MUM2BLESS Wed 24-Jul-13 19:33:40

All the best in your new job!!

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 19:39:34

Hi Mum2bless.

I've been offered a sales exec job in a local, pretty cool company. But I decided a few months ago that I couldn't do this anymore.

I work 7-6 four days a week and spend my day off trying to tidy up and sort out stuff. I never get away from work, and I'm not enjoying time with my own DC because I'm all childrened out by the weekend.

The deciding factor for me was when I asked the DC what they thought about me stopping CMing and they were all 'YES! Please do!'. I knew they found it disruptive but I hadn#t really realised how much.

OUr house isn't very big and it is just FULL of CM stuff, I think if we had a proper separate playroom and spare room for naps (like many of my local CM friends) it woudl be less of an impact on them, but they have literally nowhere to go to get away from all the other children.

Plus alll tehstuff I listed in tehOP, and teh fact that I'm 33 and have only ever had part time jobs or Mcjobs or worked with children and I'd quite like to go and see if my brain works before it's too late.

I was doing this for the best part of five years.

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 19:39:42

I can't type THE.

Reality Wed 24-Jul-13 19:47:46

Also, I have to say that CMing was a big boost in interviews, it's easy to spin the skills we need with running a busiess, marketing, sales (we are selling a service) paperwork, spreadsheets etc into transferable, emnployable skills.

fivesacrowd Wed 24-Jul-13 21:36:35

Good luck Reality in your new job and hope tomorrows not too hard for you. I'm term time and in Scotland so 4 weeks into summer hols and I'm really missing the tinies! My own dc are great but just don't want to cuddle up on the sofa reading nursery rhymes - don't miss the nappies though!wink

MUM2BLESS Wed 24-Jul-13 21:45:32

Thanks Reality.... go for it!!

MaryPoppinsBag Thu 25-Jul-13 08:34:45

Good luck in your new job. smile

Hoping it will be me this time next year!

Cheeseatmidnight Sat 27-Jul-13 02:06:54

I've just stopped too and am so relieved! Dd was also affected and small house, No playroom or nap room etc was too difficult!

Childcareisscary Sat 27-Jul-13 02:35:11

Goodluck!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now