Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

childcare.co.uk

(9 Posts)

Whats the going rate for babysitting in your area? In mine I see fully qualified nannies with 5+ years experience offering to babysit for £6.50 an hour, so I can't really charge any more than that. Check out your competition smile

Childcare is relatively good imo, my two current jobs are from childcare, but the cost of it is substantial. Put your full name on there and have a google+ page or something with your contact details under your full name, some parents might try to find you outside of childcare. If you have a common name then maybe put your year of birth or something on the end too and add that you an outside profile.

TeamSouthfields Tue 23-Jul-13 18:15:42

£8 an hour! And taxi home

nannynewo Tue 23-Jul-13 18:11:58

All went well, thanks! Family are lovely and very much looking forward to babysitting.

Now I need to decide on a figure..hmmm!

NomDeClavier Mon 22-Jul-13 23:30:49

Given that anyone can post a profile it's not that safe compared to sites where advertisers have to pay to post jobs. If they've contacted you then they've probably paid and there is some traceability should something go wrong via the card they use to pay.

As with anything take sensible precautions. Tell someone where you're going and what time you expect to be back, if you have concerns about the house when you get there don't go in and arrange to make or take a security call.

Peachyjustpeachy Mon 22-Jul-13 22:14:41

I'm on childcare.co.UK as a cm. So the parents t's come to me. But if it's any help I've only ever had good ones from there.

nannynewo Mon 22-Jul-13 16:49:48

Yeah I guess I just wanted some reassurance really!

They have asked me how much I am charging but wasn't really sure how much to say so thought I would ask on here first!

I have a lot of experience but no formal qualifications yet so think I will say £6-£7 an hour.

Many Thanks.

nannynick Mon 22-Jul-13 16:43:21

Safe, in what way? There is no vetting of who uses the site, so someone could pretend to be a family looking for childcare.

Visiting the family before hand sounds like a very good idea. I expect they are genuine but take the usual precautions you would when meeting any new family.

Charges are up to you. Surprised that a family has been in touch without you having specified a fee. Maybe they will tell you what they are expecting to pay. I would have thought you could aim for £8 an hour, if you have childcare qualifications and experience. If you do not, then probably £6 upwards. Though consider what the minimum is that you would do it for.

nannynewo Mon 22-Jul-13 16:29:54

Sorry I meant 8pm-1am not 10!!

nannynewo Mon 22-Jul-13 16:28:49

Hi all,

how trustworthy is this website?

I created a profile as a student looking to earn some extra cash babysitting throughout the summer.
I didn't really expect to get a response so quickly but have been asked to babysit this week (thurs). Is the website safe? I am going to visit the family tomorrow because they want me to babysit quite late, 10pm - 1am so thought it would be safer for myself to call round in day light first off.

Also how much should I charge per hour? I have no idea how much to say?

Any advice much appreciated, thank you.

As for area, I am living in South Wales if that makes any difference about how much to charge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now