This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare for reception age toddlers

(10 Posts)
noisytoys Mon 22-Jul-13 13:40:06

That's the main reason a lot of my friends gave up work when their children started school. Holiday clubs round here take from age 5-8 and cost £50/day per child. No sibling discount. Even if you thought long term and sucked up the cost the child would get to age 8 and there would be no childcare options because childminders don't like to take older children they don't already have a bond with sad

Lots of holiday club will only take from age 5 though so can be tricky if a summer baby.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Jul-13 23:09:27

Honestly - I wouldn't worry or even think about it yet - it's 2yrs in the future

Anything can change

You /your partner could decide to give up work - get made redundant - have another child - relocate - etc etc

LoveShortbread Sun 21-Jul-13 22:26:40

Thank you very much for all the advice. I will start searching Childminder and After school /Holiday clubs. Have a good week, everyone!

GherkinsAreAce Sun 21-Jul-13 12:38:03

Au pair

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sat 20-Jul-13 22:22:30

We did before and after school clubs from the 2nd week he started at school and back to his nursery for 'Holiday Club' during school hols.

TheYoniWayIsUp Sat 20-Jul-13 22:20:20

I know this is not helpful, but I have to say it... A child in reception is not a toddler! Not by a long shot!

I agree with the childminder idea. I have found that contrary to popular thinking, childcare becomes way more complicated once children start school.

Could you afford a nanny?

Cindy34 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:16:40

Reception age is 4 isn't it - school year in which they become age 5?

Before and after school care options are childminder, before/after school club, live-in or live-out nanny. Childminder and nanny options are often also able to offer some care during school holidays, both types of childcare will take some holiday time off themselves. There are summer holiday play schemes in some areas.

Childminder is probably your first thing to look at, as often the lower cost option if you have less than 3 children.

NannyMcphee12 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:14:15

A childminder?

LoveShortbread Sat 20-Jul-13 21:56:29

Hello, I wonder if you could help me...
My DS is 2 now and he is at day nursery during my work time. (I work 3 days a week)

My friends' kids are starting reception this year and made me think what to do with the childcare when my DS is at the reception.

We need someone who can look after my DS after the reception school and 3 full days a week when school holidays.

What are the option for the childcare for the reception age toddler and primary school kids?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now