Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Contract & notice

(6 Posts)
NannyMcphee12 Sun 21-Jul-13 22:29:05

Mum boss has mentioned in conversation that I may not have a job but nothing else, I've asked about it and it gets blanked

nannynick Sat 20-Jul-13 23:48:51

I feel you would be owed the money for the 39 weeks of work you have done, not split over 12 months - though I suppose they could continue paying you until the 12 months was up, even if you get another job.

You have not been there long enough to get redundancy pay.

I think that as pay is split over 12 months, them giving notice now would be fine, as the notice period would take you into August.

As you have yet to be told officially that the job is coming to an end, why worry about it? Do you really think they will not need you come September? Could you have a chat with your boss this week about plans for next school year? My employer has moved jobs, didn't result in me losing my job - so I am not sure why you feel your employer changing jobs means you will not have a job, maybe the job would change a bit.

As Cindy says, very hard to know. Maybe a call to ACAS would help, though possibly not a lot. As you have worked the 39 weeks for which you should be paid, if they do decide to end the contract before the end of 12 months, then I would be insisting that they paid in full as you have done the work which is being paid.

NannyMcphee12 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:51:26

They pay me for 39 weeks a year although it paid over 12 months. Does that make a difference?

NannyMcphee12 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:50:28

Worked for them since Sept 12 so not even a year.

Where would I stand if she didn't want me back in Sept?

Cindy34 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:19:23

Very hard to know as you are term-time only. If they are not paying anything during school holiday time, then giving notice at end of term may result in those 4 weeks being effectively in September.

How long have you worked for them, would you get redundancy pay?

NannyMcphee12 Sat 20-Jul-13 20:40:50

I'm a nanny with a pretty awful family

Mb indicated that my job may possibly come to end next Weds (end of school term)

My contract states that I'm contracted to work school term only& that the notice period is 4weeks

As of yet she hasn't given me my notice but I have a feeling it's coming (she's moving jobs etc etc)

Where do I stand as she won't have given me my 4 Weeks notice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now