This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AP notice period

(6 Posts)
Mendi Tue 16-Jul-13 14:40:45

I'm thinking one month probationary period.

After that - one month's notice? One week seems too short. What do others do?

Strix Tue 16-Jul-13 15:14:36

Sounds reasonable. I agree one week is too short. Might make probation longer though -- 2 or 3 months? But, if you are happy with one, that's fine too.

Mendi Tue 16-Jul-13 15:34:01

Thanks. During the probationary period do you have a shorter notice period?

Also, what to do about medical stuff? I have told her about the EHIC card and she's said she has this. But info on the BAPAA site says APs should come with full medical insurance as they're not entitled to full NHS care here. There's no way I can pay for medical insurance for her (I don't even have it myself!) and she's unlikely to want to fund it either.

What do other people do?

NomDeClavier Tue 16-Jul-13 15:37:16

If they're coming to live with you for more than a couple of months, will have a bank account etc then they are entitled to NHS care. You just need to march her down the docs and register her.

Sometimes I worry about what BAPAA are saying. It's actually quite damaging to APs.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Tue 16-Jul-13 17:52:45

they don't know what they're talking about - if the AP is an EU national.

Childcareisscary Tue 16-Jul-13 21:01:29

I was going to ask the same thing Mendi. I'm seriously thinking about Au pair insurance though. nhs only covers some things I think. God forbid in the case of real emergency where they need to go home, insurance might come in handy. But I'm still looking into it.

Mendi do you mind if I send you a direct message asking you couple of questions, as it seems you're going through process I'm just entering into?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now