This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New childminder questions...

(8 Posts)
KeepOnRockinginthefreeworld Sat 20-Jul-13 10:27:05

How did it go?

surfandturf Wed 17-Jul-13 22:19:45

I charge double at the weekends too wink Don't sell yourself short - you are running a business. Good luck.

woahthere Wed 17-Jul-13 21:36:55

I have a parent pack that is pretty comprehensive. If possible I try and get a copy to them beforehand and ask that they think of any questions before they come. I would say, be friendly, focus on the child...don't get to hung up on the finer details until later as first impressions count and primarily the thing they will be interested in is how you interact with their child. I usually get an impression from them straight away about whether they are interested in their child coming or not. If they leave and say they will be in touch thank them very much and say how much you appreciate that they will let you know because there is nothing worse than being kept waiting. As happydazed says...be careful about being too flexible. The whole bonus of being a childminder is that you choose your hours etc so dont go agreeing to something that you might later regret...decide what you are prepared to do and stick to it. I would definitely charge more for weekends.

WatermelonSugar Fri 12-Jul-13 17:47:35

Thankshappydazed - that's good advice. I can only offer pretty limited hours and they seemed happy with that. Just have to wait and see now!

happydazed Fri 12-Jul-13 00:06:41

I would just warn against offering too much flexibility unless you really are happy to do it. I was so keen with my first couple mindees I agreed some very early starts and late finishes, few years down the line I am full and working longer hours than I would ideally like, also things like late payments, late collection, do you charge if you are on holiday or sick. best to get all that out the way at the beginning and avoid upset later..

WatermelonSugar Thu 11-Jul-13 14:09:09

Thanks lechatnoir, that's really helpful - I like your weekend pricing structure. I've got a folder of stuff for parents, so I can have that out.

lechatnoir Thu 11-Jul-13 13:19:43

I charge 1.5 times normal for 9-5pm Saturday & double at all other times of the weekend so I'd say £1 more is way too low (not that it should matter but do bare in mind most workers ie mum & dad will get enhanced pay for the weekend).

I usually have a parent folder put for them to flick through but otherwise just show them round, chat about your services so what you do, where you go etc and how you follow eyfs etc. Before talking fees I try & find out what they are looking for as sometimes 1 standard fee doesn't always fit & then either give them rates, holiday/sickness terms etc or promise a follow-up email that night outlining hours, fees etc.

WatermelonSugar Thu 11-Jul-13 12:42:42

Hello, I've recently registered as a childminder and have my first potential mindee and her mum coming round tomorrow for a look around. Can any of you more experienced people suggest what I should talk about or ask them about? I'm guessing they're not going to be that interested in reading my assignments from my childminding course!

Also, they are interested in having a childminder on occasional weekend days, which is fine with me. Is it normal/ acceptable/ expected to charge a higher hourly rate for weekends? I was thinking of charging approx £1/ hr more for weekends but I'd be really interested to hear the view of other CMs on this.

All thoughts welcomed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now