This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help with how much to charge as a Nanny!

(21 Posts)
Smileyface1991 Tue 09-Jul-13 19:49:03

Hello I'm looking into working as a nanny and was wondering how much I should charge?
I've looked on the Internet but can't find many nannies in my area! I live in south cumbria have a cache diploma and I've worked in a nursery for 4 years.
Thanks in advance 😀

ActionLog Tue 09-Jul-13 19:58:48

If you are working as an employed nanny on a permanent basis then you don't get to "charge" anything, it is for your employers to decide what they are willing to pay and for you to decide whether that is acceptable to you. As it would e in any other job.

Whereabouts in south Cumbria? I agree there doesn't seem to be many nannies round these parts!

nannynicnic Tue 09-Jul-13 20:04:44

I moved away from Cumbria in 2011 due to no Nanny Jobs.. and in the 3 years I've been qualified I have never had a nanny job up there. Though I have moved now south partly due to my family moving and lack of work in Cumbria. Unfortunately when you live on the edge of the lake district it's all tourism and people just don't have the same amount of money to afford a nanny as further down country.

Smileyface1991 Tue 09-Jul-13 20:05:10

Thanks for your reply action log I understand what your saying its just ive been asked by a prospective family what I charge and dont really know what to say!
I'm near Kendal tittybojangles do you work around here?

nannynicnic Tue 09-Jul-13 20:07:15

I moved away from Cumbria in 2011 due to no Nanny Jobs.. and in the 3 years I've been qualified I have never had a nanny job up there. Though I have moved now south partly due to my family moving and lack of work in Cumbria. Unfortunately when you live on the edge of the lake district it's all tourism and people just don't have the same amount of money to afford a nanny as further down country.

nannynicnic Tue 09-Jul-13 20:07:58

Sorry for posting twice, laptop gone crazy!

nannynicnic Tue 09-Jul-13 20:12:28

and i've just realised i didn't even answer your question! But as Actionlog has said it is entirely down to your employer how much they feel is the right amount to pay you, and if you don't agree you can try and negotiate. Remember they pay your tax and NI

ActionLog Tue 09-Jul-13 20:17:42

As long as you view it as "salary expectations" then it is fine and something I ask before calling any candidate to interview for any role.

I'm not a nanny. But don't live far from there. Considered a nanny when I went back to work but there just didn't seem to be many. I may have some work for you when I have dc2, but only just ttc so not for a while!! You south side of kendal? Pm me if you'd rather not say exactly where on here smile

Cindy34 Tue 09-Jul-13 21:16:32

How much do you need to earn? What are the hours of work being offered?

You need to have an idea of what you need income wise before you can suggest a figure otherwise you are pulling a figure from thin air. You could say £8 gross an hour, 40 hours a week, paid monthly. Then get round to discussing with the parents if they have ever had a nanny before and if not, letting them know about payroll providers and that as the employer there are more costs for them beyond your salary - for example, employers NI, cost of outings, providing food/drink during working hours, those sorts of things. Discuss if they are providing a car or if you need to use your car to ferry children around, thus then get onto the subject or mileage payments.

What is reasonable for your area? Perhaps try to find out childminder fees in the area, then multiply that by at least 2.

katharinehepburn Tue 09-Jul-13 22:56:15

I live in Tyne & Wear so the other side of the country but probably not dissimilar in terms of nanny pay compared with the south east and home counties. As you are new to nannying I would expect to pay £7.50 to £8 gross per hour. When you have some nannying experience under your belt you could probably hope for more but even very experienced nannies here only get £9.50 to £10.50 per hour gross.

Most nurseries around here only pay minimum wage so nanny pay is better per hour. But you can't expect the London prices you see being bandied around on here. HTH.

Smileyface1991 Wed 10-Jul-13 18:51:27

Thanks for your replies it part time 2/3 days a week so it will be my second job so will get taxed more but have no idea how to work that out?!
childminders charge £3.50/£4 an hour around here so im thinking i could charge £7.50 per hour like katherine hepburn said and ask for money for and outings would that be ok I dont really know what they will be expecting to pay!

Smileyface1991 Wed 10-Jul-13 18:55:21

Tittybobangles tried to pm you but dont know how!? Sorry im new to this!

nannynick Wed 10-Jul-13 19:45:33

Hard to say what take home pay would be as your other job may or may not use all your personal tax allowance. At a guess I would expect 7.50 gross to become around 6 net.

Make sure the family know about registering with HMRC as an employer and they could do payroll themselves using the HMRC online system or they can pay a payroll company (cost around £135 a year) to produce the payslips and do the other payroll associated things.

Not sure you can pm from your phone actually if you are using it on there.

Smileyface1991 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:55:20

Im on a laptop it just wont load the message poster page! anyway I live in staveley between kendal and windermere!

Staveley is lovely! Possibly a bit far from me but I'll save this thread in case I'm thinking of a nanny in the future?! wink

I'm in two jobs, in one I get taxed 20%, the other I get my allowance from (barely any tax).

Mak sure you don't get talk3ed into self employment and that they pay your tax/NI.

& parents pay for trips, not you, nannies and childminders are two completely different things. They might give you a kitty or they might pay you back any expenses (including petrol) on a weekly/monthly basis.

NomDeClavier Fri 12-Jul-13 18:37:45

If you're not sure what normal for a nanny or not try contacting one of the professional associations that deal with nannies and seeing whether they'll give you any advice.

Obviously a lot does depend on the individual family but there are some things it's generally accepted that the family should pay - like tax and NI, petrol expenses and a kitty for outings.

Smileyface1991 Sat 13-Jul-13 17:27:17

Thank you all for your replies it's been a great help, tittybojangles bangles yes that's absolutely fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now