Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

aibu to expect a sorry here

(51 Posts)
happydazed Wed 03-Jul-13 19:13:23

well I probably am unreasonable but thought id rant anyway its what mumsnet is for! mindee complained of feeling sick and tired. stupid me let him go and lie in the lounge which I try and keep child free. he threw up everywhere. couch and carpets are all going to need cleaning, cushions in the bin already. there was gallons, sorry tmi! it smells terrible in there.
now its my own fault for letting him go in there and a hazard of the job etc and I hugged and comforted the poor kid while he threw up, and looked after him until mum came, but I just think mum when she arrived and saw the destruction could have acknowledged it at least. I wouldn't charge for cleaning of course my fault as I said but an offer to help or something would have softened the blow for me. its a brand new carpet . sob!

Do you not have anywhere else a poorly child can go and rest? Where would they usually nap?

NatashaBee Wed 03-Jul-13 19:18:28

If my child was ill and throwing up, it probably wouldn't register with me that your sofa and carpet were messed up. I would offer something towards the damage or help cleaning up the next day though...

Once you've scrubbed everything I would pour bicarb of soda over everything and leave it overnight, then hoover up - should help get rid of the smell.

happydazed Wed 03-Jul-13 19:19:19

he's 7, younger ones nap upstairs in cots. don't really have anywhere for an older child to nap.
I thought he was just tired so let him lie on the couch to get a break from the others and have a rest.

happydazed Wed 03-Jul-13 19:21:35

I know you are right, I'm being horribly selfish. it probably didn't occur to them, its just so destroyed in there it makes me weep!

minderjinx Wed 03-Jul-13 19:22:39

Been there, you have my sympathy. Had my car chukky-uppied too. FWIW I think the lounge was easier to clean than the car! Now next time a child feels poorly, remember to say "Oh dear sweetheart, then you had better sit quietly here in the bath while I phone Mummy!"

Poor you, but I think you should be able to claim a professional carpet clean and sofa steam clean as a business expense to offset against your profit and taxes at least?

Would you be covered by insurance?

happydazed Wed 03-Jul-13 19:35:14

love the bath idea!
good idea about insurance too hadn't occurred to me I'll check.
although I can put it against tax , professional cleans are still quite an outlay for a little business.

ReetPetit Wed 03-Jul-13 21:17:05

I think mum should have acknowledged it and offered assistance of some sort. if it were my child I would have been mortified and would definitely have offered help with cost of cleaning.
sick is the worst, it lingers for ever - yuck!

maybe she will offer tomorrow? hmm

clam Wed 03-Jul-13 21:27:38

If my child was ill and had thrown up of course I'd be concerned about them first and foremost, but I'd also apologise profusely and be very grateful to the person who'd dealt with the onslaught. It's second nature - or ought to be.

Mimishimi Wed 03-Jul-13 23:54:39

I don't see why she should apologise but an offer to help with the cleaning or costs of getting it cleaned would have been nice of her.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Jul-13 08:31:16

Downfall of your job sad

Sick is not nice

But I wouldn't expect mum to pay towards cleaning as you are se

Same as me if child is sick in my car - I get it cleaned and put it against expenses

Seb101 Thu 04-Jul-13 08:38:39

I wouldn't expect a sorry no, would be nice, but wouldn't expect it.
And definately don't think she should pay towards clean up. Dealing with sick and the clean up after is a childminders job surely. It's horrible I know, but part and parcel of looking after children.

HSMMaCM Thu 04-Jul-13 10:17:58

Most of my parents would say sorry I think, but I would not expect any help or money towards cleaning up.

Tanith Thu 04-Jul-13 12:32:15

Op isn't looking for payment; simply an acknowledgement or a simple "Sorry" for the damage done.

Op, you will be able to claim against your insurance, provided you're covered for this kind of damage and childminder insurance packages do include it.

I once had to claim for a new sofa because a child with bowel problems exploded 4 days worth of accumulated faeces all over it after a double dose of laxative medicine. It smelled like silage in there, so I know what you mean.

The difference was that mum was mortified and couldn't stop apologising. She offered more than once to replace it.
It's all very well people saying it's part of the job, and we're self-employed. What people forget is that it's also our home, where we live. That makes it more personal and a simple acknowledgement would make all the difference.

Seb101 Thu 04-Jul-13 13:24:47

Agree; an apology and acknowledgment costs nothing!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Jul-13 14:49:21

true, guess a sorry wouldnt go amiss as your own home

but as a nanny i wouldnt expect mum to say sorry to me if their child was ill/been sick as its part of my job iyswim and not my sofa that will smell

Tanith Thu 04-Jul-13 15:14:38

Of course not - but if a child of yours were to be sick in someone else's home? Be she a cleaner, a childminder, a bus driver, a teacher, a lawyer - shouldn't your response be the same, regardless of her job?

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Jul-13 15:15:25

again true smile

Mrscupcake23 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:37:59

I once had a child be sick everywhere in my car. Got home and dad said he couldn't deal with sick!!! My top tip is never wind the seatbelt back in with sick on it.! It was horrible. Took weeks to get rid of the smell you have my sympathy.

looselegs Thu 04-Jul-13 21:35:30

Perks of the job!!
...I've had it in the car,all the pushchairs (single,double and triple!),over my sofa,up my stairs........
Bicarbonate of soda works well!! ..(I've tried everything..)

FlipertyJibbert Thu 04-Jul-13 21:51:09

Oh my goodness that sounds horrible. sad. I really hated dealing with my own kids sick I would hate to deal with someone else's.

I am not even squeamish - I have worked as a meat inspector in abattoirs.

I would have said sorry if I had been the Mum but I agree that she may not have been thinking straight.

CaptainSweatPants Thu 04-Jul-13 21:53:47

She might come round tomorrow with wine or thanks

Maryann1975 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:49:28

A childminder round the corner had a child's puppy dart into her house today (it hadnt be tied up correctly). It promptly weed all over the lounge carpet, no sorry, offer to clear it up. Just a 'well it's what puppies do'. That is rude. But I also agree, if it was one of my kids who was sick at childminders I would apologise a lot, but would have been concerned about child and wanted to get them home quick so wouldn't have offered to clean it up.
I do give children who feel sick a bucket though. Every time, just in case. Feeling sick can turn to being sick in seconds, I don't take the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now