This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What do your children call their nanny?

(36 Posts)
sunnyshine Tue 02-Jul-13 12:49:22

I have a friend who has a nanny for her dd age 4. The child calls her "the nanny" not by her first name. So

The nanny is picking me up today

The nanny gave me lunch

Is this unusual as I would always have thought it would be first names?

NomDeClavier Wed 03-Jul-13 13:12:26

When I was a child I always called my nanny by her name but as bonsoir said outside the family it was 'my nanny', because it easily identified what she was in a way that Jane/Joan/Jean wouldn't.

'The' is odd IMO.

Bonsoir Wed 03-Jul-13 19:10:49

I think children sometimes refer to "the nanny" when they themselves are of an age when they don't need a nanny but there is a nanny in the family for younger DC, IYSWIM. Especially when the children referring to "the nanny" have never really been in her direct care.

Fridayschild Wed 03-Jul-13 19:17:39

We use her first name.

DCs might refer to her as "our" nanny to distinguish her from the other various nannies and au pairs their friends have. But we never use "the".

And if I catch them being rude to her they are in lots of trouble. Pampered progengy need to learn to be polite to absolutely everyone in my book.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Wed 03-Jul-13 19:25:41

DCs always called her by her first name. I don't like "the nanny" from adults, let alone children. I use "X, the DC's nanny" if explanation is necessary.

Apart from anything else they call DMIL Nanny.

T1tch85 Thu 04-Jul-13 10:04:20

I am nanny, they call me by first name or nanny t1tch85. Sometimes they'll say my nanny or the nanny to explain their relationship with me.

Karoleann Thu 04-Jul-13 20:38:43

Our last but one nanny was called spade........not her real name of course, but something Eastern European that the kids couldn't pronounce.

Both our nanny and I gave up correcting then after a few months.

We still see her and the boys still call her spade!

squeaver Thu 04-Jul-13 21:29:48

Well, I know LOADS of not bratty at all children who have nannies and - while some of them do sometimes talk about "OUR nanny" - none of them ever refer to "THE nanny". Their parents would be horrified if they did.

nooka Thu 04-Jul-13 21:51:29

We only ever called or referred to our nannies by name, but we had a gap and then moved to a childminder when our children were at school, so they didn't often need to talk about her to anyone outside of family.

Is 'the nanny' much worse than 'our nanny'? It just sounds a bit archaic to me, like it should be capitalized - the one and only Nanny

anewyear Fri 05-Jul-13 20:04:28

Ive heard a few of my Parents refer to friends, some of them mutual, Who Ive know longer than the parent!! as 'The Childminder'!

Rude IMO, Dont know why it gets to me, but it does?

Cathyrina Sat 06-Jul-13 10:04:46

All my charges have always called me by my nickname, I introduce myself as 'I'm x, y's Nanny' and make sure that everyone calls me by my nickname including the parents etc. because everything else simply makes me feel very uncomfortable and I am honest and let them know about this! My current family have refused to call me by my nickname and call me 'the nanny' if other parents are over which I find really odd (glad it's only a temp role). I don't call them 'the employer' or 'the charge' either!

ChippingInGoAndyGo Sat 06-Jul-13 10:15:52

That is really rude.

I wonder how long she'll last with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now