Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What do your children call their nanny?

(36 Posts)
sunnyshine Tue 02-Jul-13 12:49:22

I have a friend who has a nanny for her dd age 4. The child calls her "the nanny" not by her first name. So

The nanny is picking me up today

The nanny gave me lunch

Is this unusual as I would always have thought it would be first names?

janey223 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:54:46

Not a nanny nor do I have one but the nannies I've known have been called 'nanny name'

janey223 Tue 02-Jul-13 12:55:21

I do ind it odd that she calls her nanny the nanny though :-/

sunnyshine Tue 02-Jul-13 13:06:28

Me too!! All seems a bit superior on the families part hmm didn't know if that was the norm though as never known anyone with a nanny before!!

nannynick Tue 02-Jul-13 13:19:58

The children call me Nick, or before they can say that it sounds more like Nit!

Cluffyflump Tue 02-Jul-13 13:21:11

It's objectifying a person a bit.
Ime, most children call nannies by their first name.

skaen Tue 02-Jul-13 14:23:52

My children use her first name or if they feel they need to explain a bit more it tends to be X, my nanny.

Weegiemum Tue 02-Jul-13 14:26:16

My dc called their nanny by her first name and referred to her to others in the same way.

They still do - she's coming round for lunch next week (she finished working for us 6 years ago but still in regular contact!).

janey223 Tue 02-Jul-13 14:42:34

I think it's the 'the' that bothers me about it, she's a person not an object, why would you teach a child to treat an adult like that?

squeaver Tue 02-Jul-13 14:44:31

What do they call her to her face? Sadly I do know children who also refer to their nanny in the third person like this but then call her her name when speaking to her.

All these children are brats, btw.

dinkystinky Tue 02-Jul-13 14:48:55

They call our nanny by her first name.

Callaird Tue 02-Jul-13 14:49:15

None of my previous (23) charges even knew I was their nanny! I still have a previous charges diary from when he first started school (he's 28) and in it he had written that he had come to stay with me for the weekend and what we had done. The teacher had written who is 'callaird'? He reply she's my 'callaird'! She asked if I was an Aunty/friend/relative, he thought everyone had a 'callaird'! Too cute. He has a 9 month old now and they call me nanny (as in granny) 'callaird'! Not impressed (or old enough to be a granny!)

I am always (a toddler variation of) my name.

I've worked for 'normal', titled and VIP families, none of them ever addressed me as 'the nanny' to the children or even to other people (in my hearing, at least) and I think I might have said something about being a person in my own right not a possession of theirs, like I did with the mother who told me at interview that I was her nanny and I wasn't to look after any other children, charges or family members, whilst I was employed buy her. I told her that that was fine whilst I was working but on my time off I would do whatever I pleased as long as it didn't affect my working hours. She offered me the job and before I accepted it, we had a very long chat about how I expected to be treated. I worked for her for 3 years and enjoyed (almost) every moment of it!

DalekInAFestiveJumper Tue 02-Jul-13 15:51:18

Where I live, nannies are less common, so no doubt my mileage varies. But the few I've known go by Miss Firstname or Mr. Firstname.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 02-Jul-13 17:57:12

always been called blondes first name smile

tho i do have a friend who in one of her jobs she was called nanny, she seemed to like it, and even db/mb called her nanny, ' ask nanny if you can have abc' etc and kids would say 'nanny ........'

not said in a horrible way, but to me was weird, told her so as well

Bonsoir Tue 02-Jul-13 18:00:07

Children I know mostly refer to "my nanny" or "the nanny" when talking to people outside the family, but call the nanny by her first name to her face and when referring to her to close family members.

Bonsoir Tue 02-Jul-13 18:01:36

It's no better or worse to refer to "the nanny" than to refer to "the cleaner" or "the gardener" or "the chauffeur".

Reinette Tue 02-Jul-13 18:04:51

I'm either called by my name, a baby/toddler version of my name, or "Ms. (first name)" depending on the family. I'd be awfully offended to be called "the nanny," particularly by a child.

badfaketan Tue 02-Jul-13 18:05:37

They call her by her first name.
Although sometimes my eldest refers to her as "Little Brother's Name's Childminder" as he is at pre-school and the nanny spends most of her time with his little brother.

I never refer to her as the nanny or the childminder though,just as First Name or "This is First Name and she helps me out with the kids."

Feel a bit self-conscious saying nanny in case people think it's a bit posh!

sweetsummerlove Tue 02-Jul-13 19:30:32

thats so rude! my charges call me by my name or nanny sweetsummerlove

DreamGirly Tue 02-Jul-13 20:36:35

My 2year old charge introduces me to people as 'my Nanny Plum!' Ben and Holly have alot to answer for........

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Tue 02-Jul-13 21:48:34

Older charge by name when talking to me. He tells school that I'm is nanny-mummy & sometimes tell his friends I'm nanny-mummy! He's only 4

Younger charge called me Dit (nothing like my name)

Mb/db call me by my nickname when around me or refer to me as 'nickname' the nanny

SandStorm Tue 02-Jul-13 21:50:24

I've only ever had an after school nanny and dd was almost 10 at the time. She called her by her first name and it never occurred to me to call her anything else.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 02-Jul-13 22:03:03

By her first name.

Ds wouldn't realise that she was a nanny. He just thinks he is our friend. He calls my mum 'nanny', so it would be strange if that was what he called our nanny too!

EverybodysStressyEyed Tue 02-Jul-13 22:09:37

dd calls her by her name

ds does too unless he is talking about her and then it is 'our nanny' - but that is because he is very keen to differentiate her from me. Mummy's boy issues!

As a family we refer to her by name

Jude89 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:58:03

I once introduced myself to a parent as "charge's nanny" and got horrified/appalled looks for weeks, until someone asked how old I was when his mum was born!

(Charge was 7, I was 23, there was no chance that I was his granny!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now