This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Sad to be finishing but happy to have time with dd

(25 Posts)
sunnyshine Fri 28-Jun-13 21:37:58

That's it cheese. It's meant to fit in with your life but never seems too. My girls can't do after school clubs as cant take mindees to gyms and pools etc. we can't just have one dinner, mindees dinner (sometimes 3 different meals) my own children then mine and dh. Washing up is like 20 people live heregrin! And the fear of the dreaded ofsted constantly hanging over you!!

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 20:13:12

I definitely need to take on only what I can manage if I do it again. My dd is 2 so school and pre school runs were an error, or at least so many were an error!

Dinners are a nightmare as I have 3 very fussy eaters and I have tried everything but they bring me to tears daily! Never doing them again!

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 20:10:16

Thanks xigris!

xigris Fri 28-Jun-13 19:32:21

I'm not a child minder but please can I just say you all need a medal!!! I don't know how you do it! Several of my friends are CMs and work amazingly hard. I could not do it!

HSMMaCM Fri 28-Jun-13 19:28:07

I stopped all school runs when DD went to secondary school and Pre school runs and I have never provided an evening meal. Everything makes a difference. It is very invasive on your home life and if you return to minding, make sure you only take on the work you want.

(Previous career earning twice as much managing payroll for thousands at a well known company)

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 19:24:17

I had a career as a Surveyor. Office based though and a very niche market. I'd have gone back if the company hadn't been in the rocks. The company has now gone under.

We are currently buying a house and I just love the idea of working in an estate agents. I used to work in Sales a secretary for a house building company. But left that to do a graduate position in a tin pot company which lasted only 6 months, so wish I'd stayed as sales secretary as I could've worked my way up.

I might get my CV sent out.

Sunny I didn't, at all. But you just have to spin your transferrable skills from cming to make yourself attractive to the job market.

My CV is all full of my excellent marketing skills, my ability to problem solve and think on my feet, my bookkeeping and admin strengths and my fabulous knowledge of how to sell a service to people.

wink

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 18:50:30

There are so so many negatives! I didn't have a career beforehand but am lucky enough to be able to afford to have a potter for a while. Desperate to do it, cannot wait to get my house back.

I know some people do it consistently for years but I have no idea how. I am desperate to be able to go home from work and not be on show everywhere I go, having to be chipper and bouncy and professional, keep the house immaculate.

It doesn't help that I am very far from being a domestic goddess so the cleaning and tidying doesn't come as easily to me as as it seems to some of my minder friends.

The funny thing about this decision is that my friends have all started to tell me they also plan on doing it in the next year or so too, so not everything is as it first seems on the surface.

Re pre school pick ups - I have been doing school runs and dinners, pre school midday pick ups everyday too, so did take in far too much!

It naturally ended as my little ones moved on but was awful telling the others.

sunnyshine Fri 28-Jun-13 18:40:07

Did you all have careers (ie the estate agent) before childminding? Therein lies my problem. No previous career!! Not sure what to do,

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 18:31:53

Reet I'm hoping to do less.

I'm taking less after schoolers. And have turned some down.
Working Mon-Thu only.
With 2 all day Mon-wed (10m and 2y)
And the 10m only on Thurs.
It will be a bit easier as I'm meeting the 10 m olds Mum at school and only having my 2 yo before school.
Then just one after school (bro of 10 m o) and they'll be gone by 4,30. 2 y o should be picked up at 2.30.

So really a little bit easier than my 8-18.00 at the mo.

And I'm hoping to go out and about to local reservoirs/ national trust sites so we can get a nice walk in whilst they nap.

I have found this year very hard with the long cold winter and my own sons half day pickup from nursery which limits what we can do.

I'm half hoping that the Mum the baby and his bro cancel so I can quit.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 18:09:59

Ooh Eleanor I'd love to be an estate agent!

ReetPetit Fri 28-Jun-13 17:48:39

yes,my ds2 starts school sept - am debating whether to pack it all in or just do it part time until i can find something else which fits around my 2 dc... easier said than done though sad this seems to.be the only job which truly does fit in with your family.but there are just too many negatives!!

don't know what to do, could go back to.nursery work but not sure i'd have much in common with the workers at my local.nurseries - who seem to all be about 18!

I'm leaving too, after nearly five years, for all the reasons you all describe.

I'm going to be an Estate Agent instead, of all things.

Really looking forward to it, despite the financial hit (paying for childcare for my three...), I simply can't do this anymore.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 17:15:20

Ah you see my husband is not fed up of it as he leaves just after 7.30 and arrives home at 6 when the kids gave either left or just doing so. It doesn't impact him.

I'm on holiday at the moment and have been in tears at the thought of returning to it and having to pack up a house for a move and then set up a new home all whilst running a CM business. hmm

Just want a few months to myself to potter in my new house. (DSs will both be at full time school Sept).

Sorry I've hijacked with my moaning!

sunnyshine Fri 28-Jun-13 16:28:04

I think my family Is the same. Kids are fed up with house being full, hubby's fed up of never having 5 minutes peace and my toy collection could go down 75%. Need a well paid job though to go to before I give notice hmm

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 15:42:18

Cheese I'm well jel! envy

I want to quit too, we are moving house and it would just be a natural end to it all. As I am losing my massive conservatory. (Gaining a downstairs loo, ensuite detached house overlooking playing fields though smile) And I could get rid of all the toys and baby paraphernalia that mine no longer need. 2 of my regular mindees are leaving along with an after schoolie as he starts secondary. So finishing to move in late August would be ideal.

Husband says no! We do need the money, but the impact on the kids is quite high. hmm I am sure that is why DS1 has not settled in a friendship group at school because he has been playing with younger mindees at play. And I've not had time to have his friends over.

Enjoy your last few weeks and enjoy your break. Wish it was me!

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 14:59:24

Well I am staying registered so keeping options open...

It is scary but what is happening to my family is scarier

sunnyshine Fri 28-Jun-13 14:39:34

Cheese you could be me but 9 years in!!!

It's the thought of change, letting people down and finding another jobhmm

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 14:37:11

So nice to know that I am not alone in feeling like this! smile

ReetPetit Fri 28-Jun-13 14:29:08

I agree Cheese smile am planning on a break too! sounds like a good thing for you. I just sooo want my home back now - enough is enough!!!

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 14:19:51

I am leaving because...

Done 2 years and dd is finding it hard
Dp is finding the invasive nature of the job hard, as am I
Paperwork - if I start again I will streamline
Parents demands
Trashed house
Unable to be the equivalent of a cbeebies presenter 24/7 anymore!

No back up plan... Just a rest and rethink

Can't do it anymore, burnt out is the term I think! 40 hrs of childcare alone is too much

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 14:15:38

Great idea hsm, fun 3 weeks is needed I think!

sunnyshine Fri 28-Jun-13 12:42:14

Cheeseatmidnight what made you decide to stop. I'm thinking I am going to finish soon too. Do you have future plans?

HSMMaCM Fri 28-Jun-13 12:27:42

Make it a fun time. Don't worry too much about EYFS and have fun with paddling pools, trips to the park, etc. The children will still be learning and will leave you with happy memories.

Cheeseatmidnight Fri 28-Jun-13 10:36:52

Well, I am in the last few weeks of childcare as I have decided to take a break. This is the most difficult bit I think and I am finding it really hard to keep going.

I am so run down and although I would love to sign myself off sick, I can't let my parents down.

I am positive the children are still getting the best care possible, I would never let it affect that, but my family life is under such strain.

Please help me get through this and give me some inspirational pep talks pleeeeaasse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now