Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

aupair queries

(10 Posts)
millie75 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:49:52

Hi I am thinking about talking on an pair for my two sons (2 years and 6 months old ) and i am just wondering if it is actually feasible considering our their ages and our circumstances.
Firstly my youngest was born with Down Syndrome. The reason I am looking into this option is so he can remain in his home environment.
My partner works nights and would be available all day at home until around 4pm. I would return from work at 6 / 7
We living in a small 3 bed victorian cottage. I have read the comments about the small rooms in an earlier thread but our whole house is rather small (small kitchen, living room, dining room) I could accommodate a single bed wardrobe with draws under and a desk but it would be tight.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Thu 27-Jun-13 22:52:29

Yes - you could take on an Au Pair for those hours, in that situation if you wanted to - though personally I'd go for a childminder or live out part time nanny - but that's only because I wouldn't want an Au pair living in... if you are happy with that, it's a good option.

Cindy34 Thu 27-Jun-13 23:15:57

When does your partner sleep? If they are asleep, then they are not caring for their children. Some aupairs may have baby experience and be fine for half an hour, bit longer perhaps but some may have no experience at all of babies or toddlers.

millie75 Thu 27-Jun-13 23:38:24

Cindy34 Yes he does sleep from 4am until 12pm so the aupair would look after the children from 7:30am until 12pm ( 4.5 hours) and then from 4am until 6am (2 hours 6.5 hours total daily) is that too many hours for an au pair?

millie75 Thu 27-Jun-13 23:58:29

... and that would only be 3 days a week, maybe some babysitting.

Cindy34 Fri 28-Jun-13 06:03:52

4-6pm is a really bad time for most babies and toddlers, as they are tired. Witching time it is sometimes called.

Too many hours for a real aupair - limit is 5 hours. Many aupairs are not limited in hours but caring for very young children is not usual as the aupair tends to have very little experience. They are more suited to helping around the home, rather than providing childcare.

Cindy34 Fri 28-Jun-13 06:07:54

7:30-12 is really sole charge isn't it? Your dh is not there to care for baby whilst aupair plays with toddler.
It will depend on the individual person, some aupairs are great, others are not. Aim for someone who already knows about babies.

SoldeInvierno Fri 28-Jun-13 11:14:45

I think that is too much. When I was an aupair years ago in London, the family had a similar arrangement. Just one baby, but dad worked nights and mum worked days. It was a nightmare to keep baby quiet while dad was sleeping. Plus he never got up at the time he was meant to. I left them within 6 weeks

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 28-Jun-13 11:45:31

I don't think it's a job for an au pair really. The hours are ok, 19.5 hours a week is fine, but not looking after a 2 year old (who I'm assuming has some additional needs) and a 6 month old for extended periods at a time. You need a nanny.

maja00 Fri 28-Jun-13 12:57:24

Au pairs are babysitters not childminders/nannies - 6.5 hours a day sole charge of a baby and a toddler is a lot to take on. I think you need to pay more for someone with some experience/training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now