This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this considered sole charge? Au pair related

(12 Posts)
Renovatinghouse Tue 25-Jun-13 21:55:06

If I hire an au pair to look after my baby during the afternoons while I work from home, would that be considered sole charge? It would be an Au pair+ and the job is for 7 hours a day. I have flexibility to get in and out from my home office to supervise and help as needed.

Has anybody done something similar and what was the experience like?

Many thanks!

Mendi Tue 25-Jun-13 22:06:21

Seven hours a day is a long afternoon!

I think if you expect the AP to not bother you with the baby, then that is sole charge. Also I understand the accepted protocol is that it's not appropriate to leave an AP in charge of a baby.

For my part I think the seven hours would be more of a deal breaker though. Can you keep it to 5 hours a day?

Renovatinghouse Tue 25-Jun-13 23:57:42

Thanks Mendi. I could keep it to 5 hours and would expect not to be disturbed only a few hours a week when I am in meetings. The rest of the time it is pretty flexible. Will think about it though.

Thanks!

drinkyourmilk Wed 26-Jun-13 07:38:33

I think.5 hours would be better. However if she is keen and competent there is no reason not to.increase it to 7 hours. I would be hesitant to ask her to perform other duties at the same time though. So no laundry etc.
If you need other stuff doing then look at a nanny or mothers help.

Renovatinghouse Wed 26-Jun-13 09:02:44

Thanks drink, it would only be to look after the baby, who sleeps a lot. I expect that I could do some feeding and nappy changes during my breaks.

forevergreek Wed 26-Jun-13 09:34:12

An aupair is not suppose to look after a child under 2.

I think you need a nanny ( live in or out)

annh Wed 26-Jun-13 14:27:31

Remember the baby may sleep a lot now but that won't continue. Then you have a walking, talking 1 year old who is stuck in the house for 7 hours each day because you should not let the au pair have sole charge so she can't really go to the park, library, soft play etc. That's not to say that lots of people don't over-use au pairs in that way but it's not advisable.

nannynick Wed 26-Jun-13 16:20:41

A lot will depend on the aupair. If you can recruit someone with baby and toddler experience then it may work.

Aupairs are here to study, experience the culture, so consider how much free time during the day they would have and when language classes take place.

Renovatinghouse Wed 26-Jun-13 16:40:46

Thanks. I agree and I only plan to have the Au pair until the baby is 1 when she will start nursery.

I understand that au pair+ can work up to 35 hours per week and that is exactly what I will need. Mornings free until 12.30 - 1 pm and no babysitting. Because it is not a full time job I have found it very difficult to find a suitable nanny, which was our first option.

Anyway, many thanks!!

NomDeClavier Wed 26-Jun-13 21:03:20

Can you shift your working hours to mornings? That would allow someone to do an after school job.

Alternatively a nanny with own child? That would reduce the cost but I appreciate it might be difficult with you working from home.

Are you sure you're fully aware of what working from home is like with a baby? It's very challenging, especially as separation anxiety kicks in, and it's challenging for the childcarer too.

It is effectively sole charge even if you're there as backup. They are responsible for entertaining and keeping the baby safe - you aren't going to be micromanaging them if you're working, and if you're managing them you won't be working?

Equally what makes you think an au pair will be suitable if the nannies you find aren't? They're likely to be less suitable if anything.

Why have you ruled out a childminder?

maja00 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:09:24

No reason why an au pair couldn't look after a baby if you find someone with baby experience. I looked after an 8 month old as a 21 year old au pair.

Renovatinghouse Wed 26-Jun-13 21:26:12

Thank you Nom and Maja. I have a language requirement and that is what I meant about not finding nannies in London who speak the language, and want to work the hours I need. I suppose that if I increased the salary a lot that would fix it, but I cannot afford to do that. On the other hand, I have seen that lots of girls which speak the language want to come to UK to learn English as au pairs (I registered in an au pair website) and many are graduates and with lots of experience with children. Some are trained teachers and nursery workers. And many are in the 23-27 year old bracket so not that young and inexperienced.

I take your point about working with a baby at home but luckily have a separate space which should be fine.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now