Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How did you find a babysitter?

(26 Posts)
LucyO103 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:54:27

Hello,

I'm aware that many babysitters are found by word of mouth (often teenage neighbours etc), but how do you go about finding somebody if you don't know anybody? Would you ask around? Would you ever contact a babysitter who has put up a notice in a shop window? Or on Gumtree? Do you expect qualifications from a babysitter?

Let me know how you found yours, or if you don't yet have one, how you would feel most comfortable

SimLondon Tue 25-Jun-13 23:28:39

nursery staff or sitters

chickensaladagain Tue 25-Jun-13 23:30:55

The staff at our after school club do my babysitting

not that I actually go out

YDdraigGoch Tue 25-Jun-13 23:31:02

(Teenage) Daughter of friends, good with kids.

cece Tue 25-Jun-13 23:32:27

I use one of the younger girls (think she is about 23) who work in my youngest DC nursery. She advertised her services via fb.

BackforGood Tue 25-Jun-13 23:34:17

Definitely ask around - ask colleagues (not just those with little ones - it might be your colleagues have 18yr olds looking to earn some money), and ask other people you know with little ones if they know anybody.

BackforGood Tue 25-Jun-13 23:35:49

Re-read your post now.....are you asking from the pov of someone wanting to 'sit' ?
Sorry, but personally I wouldn't didn't use someone who I didn't know someone who knew them IYSWIM - a personal character reference from someone I knew.

EvaM Tue 25-Jun-13 23:40:09

I advertise on gumtree and am preparing a flyer for local cafes and shops.

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 23:55:04

we used the lovely lady who worked at DD2s nursery or paid my DSIS petrol money to come visit or I'd take her shopping and for lunch.

She lives in distant, rural, shopless land (otherwise known as Wales).

LucyO103 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:09:04

Have you got any work from Gumtree?

LucyO103 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:10:32

My main question is - would you ever hire a sitter from a leaflet/poster you saw locally, or from an Advert on Gumtree?

nannyE Wed 26-Jun-13 09:44:15

Its a website findababysitter.co.uk have a look

BackforGood Wed 26-Jun-13 11:24:35

My main question is - would you ever hire a sitter from a leaflet/poster you saw locally, or from an Advert on Gumtree?

No

Wishihadabs Wed 26-Jun-13 11:51:56

As a teenager I put handwritten cards through doors. Worked well for me then. If you put your experience/quals on it I think you might get some work.

EvaM Wed 26-Jun-13 12:12:18

Lucy, I have found one family on gumtree so the success is not overwhelming but its free.

WildlingPrincess Wed 26-Jun-13 12:20:47

I'm lucky enough to have a friend with a teenage daughter!

longjane Wed 26-Jun-13 12:40:52

net mums

and i have not advertise on gumtree but have found 2 great families on there which i baby sit for weekly

LucyO103 Wed 26-Jun-13 19:50:22

Yes I am asking from the perspective of a sitter. Any advice? smile

NomDeClavier Wed 26-Jun-13 22:02:27

I'd just put stuff up on as many sites as possible. If I have an ad running on nannyjob then I'd use their babysitter database as it's then free to access. I might have mbership paid to other sites (but I don't like the monthly fee). Gumtree and net mums and MN local are free. I probably would respond to a very local handwritten ad (corner shop, school etc) as the sitter is likely to be local too, likewise a leaflet through the door.

TeamSouthfields Thu 27-Jun-13 22:40:37

Where do u live? London? Likeminders?

LucyO103 Fri 28-Jun-13 17:17:36

Yes I live in Ealing smile

LucyO103 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:51:00

Any advice? smile

Chesterado Sun 30-Jun-13 17:00:44

Leaflets through local doors? Sounds old fashioned but might help with local/word of mouth connection. we found a great babysitter this way as she mentioned a few families she had babysat for in our area one of whom we did know through my work and who gave a glowing reference.

LucyO103 Sun 30-Jun-13 17:47:59

Yes I had thought of that although they're very expensive to print!

iyswim24 Wed 03-Jul-13 21:37:00

I was thinking the exact same thing, but from the other perspective! Lots of my friends are babysitting for their mum's friend's kids, neighbors etc. I would like to, seems like a good experience, I'm good with kids and would like to earn some money and I'm quite reliable, but I don't know any families that need a babysitter?! I've scrolled through sites like gumtree, no luck in finding anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now