Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Do after school nannies help with homework?

(8 Posts)
tourdefrance Tue 25-Jun-13 21:17:51

Hi. I posted a while ago about finding someone to pick up my dc and take them back home a few days a week. I found a local lady by asking around. I'm now looking at full time work and wonder if I can ask her to help ds1 (age 6) with reading, some writing practice perhaps? Is this a normal thing to do or just give them their tea and play as she does at the moment?
There is also ds2 age 3

MsDeerheart Tue 25-Jun-13 21:47:02

I would have thought so - childminders don't normally as there are too many children

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 25-Jun-13 21:48:23

Yes.

Cindy34 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:49:40

Yes. I did reading, helped with maths tonight. Sometimes it is jut a matter of motivating them to do the work, other times they may need some discussion to help them understand what the teacher wants them to do.

Cindy34 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:52:36

It would be best in my view if the work came from the school rather than you wanting your child to do things you set then. Schools often send reading books home, phonics, word cards, write about your weekend, that sort of thing.

Notcontent Wed 26-Jun-13 00:02:40

Yes, definitely.

Mimishimi Wed 26-Jun-13 01:52:38

You could only ask although if she has other charges, she might not be able to see to it.

tourdefrance Wed 26-Jun-13 06:33:33

Thanks. The only other charge is my other son who is sometimes happy to do some 'drawing' while his big brother is writing and sometimes not. Currently school only set homework over the weekend so we do it then and we read his reading book at bedtime but am thinking about the longer term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now