Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Chicken pox

(10 Posts)
Maryann1975 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:06:18

I cm 2 boys, who got the chicken pox yesterday. I don't childmind any one else but my own ds hasn't had the illness yet. Although the children were together yesterday and on Saturday at a party (so ds was in contact and may well come down with it anyway) I have said I am not available (as in my policy) to look after poorly children. Do you think it is reasonable for me to say that even though ds may get it anyway? Also am I right in thinking its contagious until all spots are scabbed over?

takeaway2 Tue 25-Jun-13 21:25:12

Well if they went to a nursery they'd be excluded for 5 days and till the pox has scabbard over. If I were you and that was in my policy then you have the right not to have the kids in your care. What I'd be concern is what will happen when your kids come down with it..? Will you watch your mindees or will you be busy caring for your kids?

Reinette Tue 25-Jun-13 21:37:48

It is absolutely reasonable of you. Chicken pox can be a miserable disease and it isn't so much preventing DS from exposure, which he's probably already had, as preventing wearing you out from caring for 2 or possibly 3 very ill children - besides, it's in your policy so I don't know where any complaint would come from? Hope everyone makes a quick recovery!

MaryPoppinsBag Wed 26-Jun-13 08:33:23

I have had this recently siblings with it and said no to caring for them with it.
DS2 hadn't had it and whilst he could've got it at school , I could never have forgiven myself if he'd got it and become very poorly with it because I'd put my job before him.

I think their family felt I was being unreasonable or overeacting and I charged for the time they were off as per contract.

They are now leaving me and I can't help but think its to do with this. I just don't understand why people think that you want to look after their poorly children.

Kiriwawa Wed 26-Jun-13 09:18:27

How horrible some parents are! I wouldn't have dreamed of even asking my CM to look after DS when he had pox - just called her and told her he couldn't come for the week and took a week off work to look after him

Runoutofideas Wed 26-Jun-13 18:19:42

You are absolutely in the right. Children with chicken pox may well feel pretty dreadful and need to be cosy, at home, with their parents. Even if they are fine with it, there is a chance your ds won't have contracted it yet, so there is no need to risk it further. My dd1 was around children with chicken pox at pre-school at least 3 times, before she eventually caught it herself.

TeamSouthfields Thu 27-Jun-13 22:41:53

U can catch chicken pox 2 weeks b4 the spots appear, so pretty pointless excluding them now

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 28-Jun-13 08:42:38

TeamSouthfields

We all know that and the OP acknowledges the fact that her DS could have got it already.

Personally I do not want to look after poorly children with weeping spots. Scratching and uncomfortable. (Unless they are my own)
Regardless of the fact that they might have been contagious before the symptoms come out. Before the spots arrive they aren't poorly.

Children should be at home when they are ill.

I cannot bring myself to actively infect my own DS with what can be a fatal infection for the pursuit of money or so that a family is not inconvenienced by having to look after their own child.

HSMMaCM Fri 28-Jun-13 12:34:55

Your DS may not have already caught it and if they don't come can avoid it.

I have cared for children with chicken pox, on the basis that all parents were happy with the arrangement and any child who showed signs of illness would be kept home. Most of them breezed through it, but a couple were really quite poorly.

The next time a child presented with spots, one of the other parents did not want her child exposed any more, so the sick child stayed home and none of my other 11 mindees caught it.

(NB: My DD had previously had it when another mindee brought it in and shared it will all bar one of the mindees, despite being sent home.)

takeaway2 Fri 28-Jun-13 12:37:42

Well my son is immuno suppressed as a result of a chicken pox infection so it's not a simple illness. You are definitely right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now