Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

I am considering returning to childminding.....

(12 Posts)

....and can't decide! I can't say I've missed the paperwork but I've definitely missed the mindees. smile

I child minded when DS was age 4 months to 4 years. I wrapped up my cm'ing as DS was struggling (he's autistic) and my relationship was on the rocks. DS is now 8, is coming on well and I really miss working.

I've also worked in a nursery but it's an employers market out there and finding a boss that will give me the same hours each week is like finding a pig flying across the sky!

Some things are different to before (positives and negatives)

- I live in rented accom now rather than owned
- I have a dog
- I am single smile
- I have a garden (we had one before but you couldn't directly access it from house whereas this one you can)
- I found I felt isolated but am hopefully about to pass my driving test
- I live closer to the other 2 school cms, whereas before I was on the other side of the school to them.

So unsure what to do! Any thoughts anyone?

doughnut44 Tue 25-Jun-13 15:39:43

have a look what you will have to do to register. that will help you decide smile smile

I reckon I would need the cm introduction course, but already have my level 3. Would need to update my paediatric first aid. Good point, thanks doughnut! I will check. smile

The registration process is a consideration but it's the actual working I need to weigh up mainly.

doughnut44 Tue 25-Jun-13 18:10:54

I think you have to do a cypop5 or something now and have been told it can cost £500 or more. not entirely sure but worth looking at x good luck x

MUM2BLESS Sat 29-Jun-13 18:00:52

I say go for it. You have an idea what is expected therefore its in your favour. Take a look at what the process is now. All the best!!!!!!!!

Thanks MUM2, I think I will look into it. Reading the wrapping up thread and seeing everyone who are wanting to wind their business down makes me wonder.

I don't know! I guess I'd be going into it wiser than the first time round.
Definitely need to check what current registration process is like, AND check landlord would allow it in my rented house. :-/

- It fits with DS in terms of being there for school runs for him.
- I like the autonomy of running my own setting.
- I could offer shift hours (earlies and lates) like I used to, which would mean I was offering something the other 2 minders don't.
- I would be working with children again, which is definitely my vocation.

MUM2BLESS Sat 29-Jun-13 20:23:51

To be honest being a cm has not always been plain sailing. You have challenges. I started cm (with children) five years ago, this sept. There are times when I felt like quitting. I have had my tears and I have had my laughs too. Its a bit like parenting if you see what I mean.

I have four kids of my own . Cm had allowed me to have the best of both worlds. Stay at home and bring money in. It has great flexibility, that you do not get in most jobs. I had a dental appoint which I was able to change when I realised my youngest had his sports day during that time. I love my home environment as well as enjoying trips to the library etc.

Seems like the time is right for you to do it again. We can only give you advice but you have a decide.

Yep I definitely had my ups and downs whilst child minding before! A lot of my issues were with my relationship and with DS's struggles though that tipped me towards stopping rather than the actual child minding.

I think finding out about landlord permission and registration process will help me decide.

Cheeseatmidnight Sat 29-Jun-13 21:56:08

Go for it if you feel the time is right! I think I will start again in a couple of years once home improvements and dd a little older (she was struggling)

anewyear Sun 30-Jun-13 10:40:39

Just a thought, your son, I know hes a little older now but if he had problems 'sharing' his mum back then, would he find it hard having to 'share' his mum again?

It wasn't so much sharing me, as the dynamics between the children. I had DS with autism who at 3 and 4yrs was lining everything up and crying hysterically if anyone moved anything, two 2yr olds - 1 of whom was a biter and one who loved moving DS's lines of things and breaking toys, and an older child who was very needy emotionally. They all clashed which was hard. It was an exhausting mix! I would definitely think carefully about who I took on this time around.

DS has thankfully come on so much in the past four years, and isn't really in the same place he was when I was child minding before. Even though it was the right decision at the time we both felt odd at having such a quiet house afterwards and still do really.

DS will either have me at home and a few more children around, or me out at work and him at his child minders without me and with other children around.

anewyear Mon 01-Jul-13 09:25:39

Blimey you had your hands full then by the sound of it..
Does he enjoy going to his childminder? or would he be happier at home with you do you think? Would you have a mixture of ages or just EYFS children? Or prehaps just after schoolers, being that little bit older and understand more about sharing and that others can be different from them selves.
My boys have never really liked me childminding, They didnt mind so much when I had a baby, they loved him like a brother, then the family moved.
And so I decided to have just after schoolers, The boys are not keen on them, but It works for me, as I now work in our local Pre-School 5 sessions a week, which I love/is my ideal job but that alone does not help pay the bills.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyhowsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now