This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Retainer for term time only children?

(9 Posts)
whatishappening1976 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:54:17

Just wondering who charges a retainer for children that are term time only?

I offer a holiday service but one parent does not use it, should I be charging a retainer? And is it too short notice to let them know that I want a retainer paying for the summer holidays?

All advice welcome, thanks smile

doughnut44 Tue 25-Jun-13 15:43:34

did you not discuss this when you started? I charge 1/4 price because I can either do holiday care for older children (which I can charge less for and make up a full wage if you get what I mean) or I just enjoy the time off with my own kids.
I always charge though as they may not come back then I have lost a load of money

whatishappening1976 Tue 25-Jun-13 17:09:02

When this child started the parent told me that she would need some holiday care, so I said that I wouldn't charge a retainer as was busy in the holidays and thought that I would have having them 50% of the time.

It's now been over a year since the contract started and I have never had them in the holidays, so am thinking of now putting that clause in?

doughnut44 Tue 25-Jun-13 18:08:41

understandable. speak to the parents and review your contract x

whatishappening1976 Tue 25-Jun-13 20:10:21

Thanks, don't know why I am questioning myself really, just wanted to check I am not being unreasonable x

Runoutofideas Wed 26-Jun-13 18:28:08

I don't charge a retainer, but then I want to work term time only and don't want to have to be available if they should choose to use me.

MUM2BLESS Fri 28-Jun-13 21:36:37

I have never charged a retainer. I have kids who do term time only, one who does both and another who when needed does hols only.

minderjinx Sat 29-Jun-13 06:04:47

I don't charge a retainer, but having had a shock experience with a family who moved house without warning over the summer and didn't return for the new term, I now ask for money for September before the end of July if parents want a place held for the new term. I explain that I need to do this to avoid having to charge a retainer.

MUM2BLESS Sat 29-Jun-13 16:52:40

minderjinx that's awful!!!! Some things you have to do to avoid the unexpected happening. ie late payment etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now