Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would this be an acceptable au pair role?

(11 Posts)
Dragonwoman Mon 24-Jun-13 20:09:18

I am thinking of going down the au pair route. I can offer a 10 ft x 9 ft bedroom with en suite and built in wardrobe. Would need before & after school care for 3 primary aged DCs. We work slightly irregular hours so the number of days per week would vary but it averages at about 3 days per week with full weeks only about 1 in 8. On the days on duty I would like a family meal cooked for 6 people. Small amount of ironing - about 10 items per week. General housework of 1 hr per day plus helping to clear up after meals. I can offer use of a car at evenings and weekends and would like 1 or 2 evenings babysitting per week.

Rural area with no public transport evenings & weekends. About 6 miles from a touristy pretty town. Large city 20mins train ride from town. Would this be a nice job for an au pair and how much should I pay? I don't want to exploit anyone, but can't afford ££££

quoteunquote Mon 24-Jun-13 21:18:59

what age are the children?

and honestly how well behaved and easy to get to do things are they?

Dragonwoman Mon 24-Jun-13 21:25:44

DCs are 4,7 & 9. The 9 yr old is very sensible & helpful. Can be cheeky with me but generally very meek to other people. The 7 yr old is quiet. The 4 yr old is the most lively, but I don't think any of them are too full on. We don't have any complaints about their behaviour from school. The school run is an easy 5 min walk.

Dragonwoman Mon 24-Jun-13 21:30:54

I wouldn't expect babysitting on top of a full 5 day week btw. I would choose a shorter week for that. The Friday day would usually be morning school run only even on a full week as my DH doesn't work Friday afternoons.
Sat & sun free unless we needed babysitting in the evening.

Dragonwoman Tue 25-Jun-13 18:04:46

Anyone?

MsDeerheart Tue 25-Jun-13 21:53:09

I am really no expert - but I think rural can be tricky for au pairs - would there anyone for them to be friends with? also I think just from threads on here not all au pairs can cook

cucumberkaleidascope Tue 25-Jun-13 22:53:32

I think the rural area would be the only real issue. And preplanning. If your work is varied, try to plan ahead as much as you can. smile

elastamum Tue 25-Jun-13 22:59:28

I have had rural au pairs. You need to think how they will get out and about if they want to go out during the day to language courses etc. I used to run an extra car for them to drive. Also, work out how many hours you are asking for. If it is more than 25, you can ask for au pair plus and pay them a bit more. I paid mine £100 pw.

One of mine was a really good cook,she stayed 3 yrs! - the others were all terrible. Have given up on au pairs as my teenage DC mostly ignore them - and me grin

Dragonwoman Tue 25-Jun-13 23:14:41

Cheers all. There is a bus in the day to the nearest town. I'm a rubbish cook, so I'm not expecting too much from meals - bangers & mash is fine. Wouldn't be more than 25 hours a week. On a busy week 1 hour before school & 3 after Mon-Thur with Fri morning only. Plus a bit of ironing & hoovering.
I did wonder about the au pair being lonely, but we had a young French woman start at work recently & she met loads of other Europeans in our nearest town through an internet site for ex-pats. There are quite a few polish people locally.
I probably wouldn't employ a teenager - the car insurance alone would cripple us. Age 21+ I think. On the websites I've seen they recommend pay of 70-85 per week. Is this realistic?

Scarletlips Wed 26-Jun-13 10:48:42

Dragonwoman,
I think that you have thought it out really well. We are on our fourth au pair. I find that it's really important for them to have their own social outlet. You seem to have that worked out really well. It might also be worth looking into English classes for your au pair as this is a really good way for them to make friends their own age. The best of luck with it. I hope it goes well. I couldn't recommend the au pair route more highly. When it works its just great! My kids have gained so much from the au pairs we have had over the years and still talk about them.
smile

mikulkin Sun 30-Jun-13 01:58:01

All sounds reasonable. Rural area could be the only issue, they all like going out smile I pay mine 80 gbp for up to 25 hours a week plus 2 babysitting evenings and we live in London. I pay extra though if she works more than 25 hours any week even if she worked 10 hours the week before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now