Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nanny returning from Maternity - Can we change her return date?

(6 Posts)
vicsterla Mon 24-Jun-13 13:13:41

Our nanny has asked to return from maternity leave in September, but it's the same week that my biggest starts at school. Does sanyone know if I am able to say that that is not a suitable date because of the disruption that is already going to happen? The children haven't seen her for over 8 months so it's going to be quite an unheaval for them with her coming back in the first place. Help! I don't like to put her back, but I feel I need to put the kids first?

drinkyourmilk Mon 24-Jun-13 13:18:43

Have you talked to her about it? Suggested either two weeks before or after would be better for you?
That seems the most sensible way forward to me.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 24-Jun-13 13:25:16

I don't think you can decide yourself when your nanny returns to work. She has given you sufficient notice of her return to work date, and I think she has the right to return on this date.

That said, why don't you discuss it with her and see what she thinks. Bear in mind though, that she may need to return to work on this date as she will only be receiving statutory maternity pay for the first 39 weeks of her maternity period.

Seb101 Mon 24-Jun-13 14:02:23

Maybe offer to pay her another months maternity pay out of your own pocket if she will agree to come back a month later?? I'm a nanny and have recently come back after maternity leave. If my employer had spoken to me about such an issue, I would have been understanding. Plus getting another months paid maternity leave would have been acceptable to me. I'm sure you can come to a workable compromise between you. Having said that I think it's her decision ultimately when she returns. She may not be able to afford to delay her return any longer. If this is the case the only option would be to pay her salary as usual from her return date, regardless of whether she actually returns till later. She could always come in and work along side you while your child is settling into school. That way she still gets paid, you get some help and your child gets used to nanny being back and school gradually.

nbee84 Mon 24-Jun-13 14:28:50

Your nanny will have accrued holiday leave whilst she was on maternity leave. You could ask her to take a week or two at the end of her maternity leave.

nannynick Mon 24-Jun-13 15:21:41

>The children haven't seen her for over 8 months

So is she requesting to return to work early... ie before 52 weeks? If so she has to give 8 weeks notice, which I suspect she has done.

I would look at the holiday situation and discuss it with her, see if she could take some holiday for say the first week of her return to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now