This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Handing in notice

(20 Posts)
confusedalways Sun 23-Jun-13 14:21:31

I'm currently looking for a new nanny position for numerous reasons but am basically keen to leave as soon as possible. In my contract there is nothing to say anything about how much notice period I would have to give. So what do you reckon the minimum amount of notice I could give is? remembering I would like a good reference from them still.

RikeBider Sun 23-Jun-13 14:37:42

If there is nothing in your contract then I think the legal minimum would probably be a week, but a month would be fairer. Do you get paid monthly?

drinkyourmilk Sun 23-Jun-13 14:41:45

I would always give a month, unless stated it should.be longer.
I've also said to employers that I would stay till they found a replacement. However I had a great relationship with them.

confusedalways Sun 23-Jun-13 14:44:50

I get paid weekly. See the thing is I don't have a great relationship with them. Reckon my job would fit in well on the recent thread about shocking nanny/ au pair job roles.. I'm going for an interview this week for a job that would start the end of next month. So if I got that I wouldn't want to turn it down but still feel horribly guilty as I planned to give them at least a months notice.

nannynick Sun 23-Jun-13 16:40:47

Without the contract saying anything about notice period, minimum notice is one week. The more you can give the better though what if they turn round to you and tell you to go? As you are paid weekly, you may get one week pay an no more.

Have you got savings so you can live between giving notice and starting new job?

Giving a months notice sounds reasonable but until you talk with them you will not know what sort of reaction that will get.
First get the new job, then tell your current employer that you are leaving and give the last date you will work for them. Then hope it all goes well.

For future, make sure the contract says what the notice period is should either side wish to end the agreement. Then you both know where you stand rather than having this situation repeat.

confusedalways Sun 23-Jun-13 17:33:06

I know I've realised now what a terrible contract I have and hopefully can learn from this for the future.

I do have savings so wouldn't be the end of the world if I was out of work for a bit but obviously not desirable!

MissStrawberry Sun 23-Jun-13 17:33:52

Without a specified time in a contract I think the correct notice period is the length of time you work before being paid so in your case, one weeks notice is right. However, if you want to be the bigger person and try and help the family a month would be considerate. When I nannied I always had 1 weeks notice in the 1 month trial period and 3 months notice once I was working on a long term contract.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 17:40:44

I'm going for an interview this week for a job that would start the end of next month. So if I got that I wouldn't want to turn it down but still feel horribly guilty as I planned to give them at least a months notice

Did you mean the end of this month? If not and what you wrote is right, what's the problem?

I would say you need to find another job then decide how much notice to give them. You don't have a good relationship, so I wouldn't give them too much notice as it sounds like they'd shaft you if you found someone else.

You don't have to give them anymore than a week's notice - look after yourself.

I hope you like the job you go for this week and they offer you the position.

confusedalways Sun 23-Jun-13 20:10:39

It would start the end of July so would be just short of a months notice by the time I found out if I got the job or not. Thank you very much for your kind words Chipping.

RikeBider Sun 23-Jun-13 20:54:20

I think just short of a month's notice would be fine, especially as you run the risk of them turning round and giving you a week's notice anyway.

Echocave Wed 26-Jun-13 23:21:26

Thing is OP you're obviously not happy in the role and legally you could give a week and leave but actually being reasonable counts for a lot. They may be asked for references and its a very small World so both sides should try to accommodate each other a bit.

confusedalways Thu 27-Jun-13 12:17:48

Yes that's what I'm worried about, getting a good reference. I don't think I'll be able to take the job after all as its such short notice which is a shame as they seem to be about to offer me it sad

nbee84 Thu 27-Jun-13 12:38:32

I could understand you turning down the job if it was to start next week, but it's for the end of next month.

confusedalways Thu 27-Jun-13 18:38:05

Well they want me to go for a trial few hours in the next week or two which cuts down the notice till more like 2 weeks. hmm

drinkyourmilk Thu 27-Jun-13 18:53:08

So ask if you can do the trial this weekend. Explain you are trying to be fair to your current employers so ideally would want to give notice on monday.
Ive done this myself.

nbee84 Thu 27-Jun-13 18:56:24

As drinkyourmilk says - your potential new employers should be sympathetic to the fact that you have to hand in notice to your current employer.

amazingmumof6 Thu 27-Jun-13 19:02:24

a week minimum.

can you ask them what they think is reasonable?
can you be flexible about it either way?

confusedalways Thu 27-Jun-13 20:27:35

They couldn't do this weekend unfortunately. I have another interview coming up with a later start date so maybe I should just hold out for that one..

nannynick Thu 27-Jun-13 21:57:13

Some things are not meant to be. However you will need to give notice at some point, there will never be a perfect time. I wouldn't give notice until you have a new job to go to though... so if an employer wants you, they need to commit to that and realise that you need to give your current employer notice.

DIYapprentice Mon 01-Jul-13 00:13:17

If the potential employers are not being at all flexible and allowing you to be responsible toward your current employers it does not bode well for how they would treat you as your employers I'm afraid. If they lack that sort of respect at the start, they will continue to lack it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now