This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm: upping fees in return for free holiday?

(11 Posts)
lechatnoir Thu 13-Jun-13 15:15:24

I really want to increase fees for one of my mindees on their year anniversary by 50p an hour (£5 to £5.50) which I know is a big jump but in return was going to offer them 4 weeks free holiday if they take it during school holiday time. Do you think this is reasonable? It would actually save them money if they took all 4 weeks off but works for me as I'd like more time with my own DC in the holidays. Any thoughts?

lechatnoir Thu 13-Jun-13 15:24:24

Eta they have a school aged child I look after during term time who goes to a holiday club most days in the school hols.

HSMMaCM Thu 13-Jun-13 16:24:51

Why don't you just book your own holidays in the school holidays?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 13-Jun-13 16:38:59

It might be school holidays that they need you more.

ReetPetit Thu 13-Jun-13 17:47:12

Personally, i would just put my rate up! I don't think you need to exchange anything - unless you really need the work.

lechatnoir Thu 13-Jun-13 18:03:33

I currently charge full fee for both mine & their holiday but would like to encourage them to take some extra leave in the school holidays. Do you think 50p per hour increase is too steep after the first year?

HSMMaCM Thu 13-Jun-13 19:24:56

Instead of giving them free holidays, you could stop charging for yours and take some time off in school holidays.

ReetPetit Thu 13-Jun-13 19:50:54

Agree with HSMM - if its the school holidays youvwant off - i would either stop charging for yours abd take them during school hols or offer them a new tto contract. I dont think u can encourage them to take their hols at a certain time - u may just find they don't take any!!
The rise is a seperate issue imo and is fair imo after a year but think about how much u need this particular family if hitting them with both at once!!

ReetPetit Thu 13-Jun-13 19:51:46

Sorry about spelling!!

forevergreek Thu 13-Jun-13 19:57:53

I would personally just up by 50p and keep everything the same.

Just say due to higher expenses ie food/ supplies for children/ trips etc fees from say august the 1st with be £5.50 ph

HSMMaCM Thu 13-Jun-13 21:22:08

DH (also a CM) suggested just having a set time you are closed. You could have in your terms that you are unavailable 1-21 August for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now