This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this a reasonable ad/suggested pay?

(47 Posts)
Mamabols Tue 11-Jun-13 23:56:40

Hi, we are looking for a nanny (or a nanny housekeeper) and this is the ad we put on Gumtree and nannyjob. We've gotten some responses but not as many (quality ones) as hoped...the Gumtree ad doesn't mention any pay but on Nanny job we have said £250-£300 net a week, depending on if they are willing to take on some light housekeeping (mainly cleaning and laundry while the baby is at nursery - hoping to put him in 2 mornings a week). We have a cleaner currently so the housekeeping bit is not crucial - just thought it might be easier to have one person rather than two different people.

Your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

This is our job ad:
We are a professional Christian family, living in the IP1 area of Ipswich (East of England), looking for a full time LIVE-IN nanny or nanny housekeeper (up to 60hrs/week, mainly Monday to Friday) to help care for our two lovely, well-behaved boys, aged 1 and 5, from July, for 6 months in the first instance, with potential for longer contract if all goes well.

Qualities needed:
-Experience as a sole charge nanny of young children, 0-5
-Must enjoy spending time with young children
-Flexible as one parent works shifts in hospital and the other commutes.
-Reliable
-Must be able to use own initiative
-Able to organise and prioritise
-recent CRB check
-First aid training or willigness to undergo training
-Clean UK driving license, preferably with own car but we have one you can use
-Good level of English , spoken and written
-At least two RELEVANT references
-Non smoker preferable

Duties
For the children:
Term time: school run, after school activities, homework/piano practice, toddler group/nursery
Holidays: Activities/outings, holiday club run, outdoor activities
General? (the extent of this can be negotiated, depending on if applying for nanny housekeeper or nanny position)
laundry including ironing, cleaning, preparing/serving some meals
Two evenings of baby sitting a week

Hours will be mainly Monday to Friday but may require occasional weekend cover but by prior arrangement

Benefits
-Own furnished double bedroom, sharing bathroom with the children
-Generous salary, commensurate with experience; overtime for extra hours
-Compensation for mileage and petrol used, if using own car
-Most weekends off as standard

If you are interested, please get in touch, including your CV, your salary expectations and when you are able to start.

IAgreeCompletely Sat 15-Jun-13 00:31:11

I know they are different I should have written nanny or nanny housekeeper.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 15-Jun-13 00:14:22

A nanny and an au pair are different IAgree they're not interchangeable terms. The OP is looking for a nanny.

IAgreeCompletely Fri 14-Jun-13 23:42:49

Karolanne
Blimey you are like a dog with a bone..... So we agree if the OP pays closer to £250 it would be below minimum wage if the nanny, au pair (or whatever you wish to call her) _is above 21_
However it would be above minimum wage if the OP pays closer to £300 net as I have already posted

I haven't posted anything that is incorrect AND I haven't been crabby to anyone hmm

We still don't know if the OP has included the two evening babysitting in the 60 hour working week.

I can't be bothered addressing any more of your garbled posts.

No, the lower wage, which now features in her gumtree ad, is below minimum wage for an over 21.

Karoleann Fri 14-Jun-13 17:12:23

iagreecompletely I don't think we are at cross purposes, but this is a nanny/childminder/au pair section, so I don't understand why you are posting if you don't know anything about them, it's not helpful.

The job will be above min wage if the nanny is over 21 and if under, which is possible ver possible for a newly qualified nanny as they can start training at 16, even the lowest wage is over minimum.

There is no point posting

ReetPetit Fri 14-Jun-13 13:40:53

i am currently OFL but i certainly wouldnt be looking after 2 for 60 hours a week for that kind of money!! that i would find dismal tbh...

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 14-Jun-13 12:11:06

Mintyy she's recruiting a nanny, you know one of those people who has chosen a career looking after children?! A job looking after children will appeal to someone who wants a job looking after children!

It's like me going on to a job ad looking for a chiropodist and saying 'oh good luck finding someone who wants to touch other people's feet all day'. The most horrendous thing I can think of as a career choice, but obviously some people must like it! The job is aimed at them, not me.

Reet It's slightly concerning that you find looking after other people's children 'dismal'. Aren't you a childminder?!

Mamabols Fri 14-Jun-13 00:36:26

Thank you all for your feedback. It has all been quite instructive. Made some changes to the ad - will see how it goes.

IAgreeCompletely Thu 13-Jun-13 23:18:25

Karoleann. I think we are talking at cross purposes but there is no need to be snarky. We are just trying to help the OP. I did read and understand the contents of my links.

If the OP wants to pay a live-in nanny a minimum wage then it would work out as
£6.19 x 60 hours minus £33.74 for accommodation= £337.66 gross. This would normally work out at about £280 'ish net.

The OP is suggesting paying between £250 net (which would work out as below minimum pay) and £300 net (which would work out as above minimum wage)

It is not clear if the two nights babysitting are included in the 60 hours or if the nanny is to be paid seperately for them. confused.

At £250 net pay per week (£288 gross) plus £33.74 taken off for accommodation the gross pay is £322. This is £5.37 per hour for a 60 hour week. The minimum wage for over 21s is £6.19, rising to £6.31 in October. The bottom of the OP's range is well below the minimum wage. This doesn't seem generous to me. If you aren't going to pay the minimum wage, I don't think you should be looking to employ someone.

Karoleann Thu 13-Jun-13 22:30:19

iagreecompletely you need to actually read the link you posted.
The bottom one states that you can deduct an amount for living expenses from the minimum wage. The OP is paying within minimum wage for over 21's and above it for under 21's.
No-one is forcing anyone to apply for the position and if you take the time to look at other jobs in the area, eg n nanny job, she isn't offering anything much different from other employers in the area.

Mintyy Thu 13-Jun-13 22:18:14

Yes, could never ever be a nanny! No matter how desperate. Its a good thing that some people are fond enough of children to want to do it.

Laska42 Thu 13-Jun-13 22:14:24

and surely the point is if you want good childcare, you dont pay carp wages.. whatever the government guidelines say ..

forevergreek Thu 13-Jun-13 22:13:47

But minty- that's what a nanny does? Very few nannies work 30 hr weeks.
Most on 55 min ( 10 hr days and one eve)
Many on 12hrsx5, 24/5 or even 24/6-7

Most people work 50 hrs a week who need a nanny and need to add commute ontop

ReetPetit Thu 13-Jun-13 22:06:32

and 'lord knows' how apt - lol again grin

ReetPetit Thu 13-Jun-13 22:05:57

agree with Mintyys last post 100%, lol grin

Mintyy Thu 13-Jun-13 21:59:26

Yes but its just so dismal to ask anyone to look after two children for 12 hours a day five days in a row. Lord knows, most sahms can't bear it for those kind of hours and they are looking after their own children, who they actually love!

IAgreeCompletely Thu 13-Jun-13 21:54:58

UK Gov info on Minimum Wages

This details which employees who are NOT entitled to minimum wage.
including:

non-family members living in the employer’s home who share in the work and leisure activities, are treated as one of the family and aren’t charged for meals or accommodation (eg au pairs)

So, if you charge for accomodation or if the 'worker' is not living as part of the family they ARE entitled to minimum wage.

Here are the UK Gov details on providing accommodation

Karoleann Thu 13-Jun-13 21:33:14

There is no requirement for a live in employee to eat with the family, that is an au pair.

Karoleann Thu 13-Jun-13 21:32:09

The OP is offering a fair wage - it is a live-in post therefore accomadtion costs can be removed from the minimum wage.

Even if i wasn't a live in post, minimum wage is currently £6.31 per hour for a 60 hour week this is £378 - but this is GROSS, the OP is offering 250-300 NET. 378 net is 306 anyway and you have to take living costs off this.

OP you have, I really think you have will get a good candidate if you just put a few little changes in your ad.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 13-Jun-13 21:26:18

Mintyy - 60hrs a week are quite normal for a nanny if work 5 days - as Leeds said working day plus hour travel each way

If you can make to a 55hrs week job then maybe more will apply

You do shift work so if on a late can the nanny start later then 7am / no point you both being there

Live in will reduce the costs but as others have pointed out needs to be an attractive package or they would look for a London job

IAgreeCompletely Thu 13-Jun-13 21:14:02

Sorry I meant to say 'for example, all eat together etc'.

IAgreeCompletely Thu 13-Jun-13 21:12:15

As already pointed out by other posters you would have to pay minimum pay unless she lives as part of your family ie all eat together. However, even if you get her to live as part of your family it doesn't seem right to me to expect someone to work for less than minimum wage (minus the max £33 for providing her with accomodation)
I there are lots of people who will work for less than minimum wage but it seems unfair to take advantage of them.

What about offering £310 for fifty hours work and pay as you go (minimum wage) for any hours over this. You can offer the option of live in if ou want.

It doesn't seem like it would be too onerous work, I would have thought you could find someone.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 13-Jun-13 20:57:01

I think live-in nannies are considered 'part of the family' unless they have separate accommodation breathe?

Mintyy Not really shocking. Many parents who can afford a nanny work a 9/10 hour day, plus an hour or more commute = 12 hours of childcare needed. If you're working full-time that's a 60 hour week. Long hours is just part of the job.

Laska42 Thu 13-Jun-13 20:43:02

btw mintyy .. over on the other thread.. do stick with us..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now