This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just had the dreaded call...Ofsted are coming!!! Please talk to me

(12 Posts)
topoftheladder Thu 13-Jun-13 20:43:23

That is such a good idea. I have sent out a questionnaire (thanks runoutofideas) and they are coming back positive so i think will look good. I think it is a really good idea to record conversations with pre school etc. Thanks.

lechatnoir Wed 12-Jun-13 22:31:47

I got parents to write me a reference & complete a questionnaire which included things like how can I improve my setting/what other activities or resources would you like to see included. I put these any other parental feedback into a 'working in partnership' folder along with my own dated notes about conversations I'd had with schools or nurseries & my inspector seemed v. happy with this.

HerrenaHarridan Wed 12-Jun-13 18:59:07

Oh and also I think it's very good that your conscious of not patronising them.
Maybe a way of making them feel part of it is asking for recommendations for books.
While I think it's very good that your conscious of not making them feel that your trying to influence what happens in their house I also think its helpful for some children to have a crossover item that draws the two worlds together.

Although I'm clearly strongly in favour of them (because my dd goes mad for them) you know your families, maybe it wouldn't work for them

HerrenaHarridan Wed 12-Jun-13 18:52:22

smile I have hundreds if books for dd but she showed no interest in them til after we started bringing story bags home! It was a turning point though now she loves them
It somehow makes a book more special if it has its own bag with a couple of toys in. grin even if its the same book you've got already

Also they are not something you can replicate at home really (although I've tried) she seems to like the whole process of choosing a new bag from the pegs.

Runoutofideas Wed 12-Jun-13 07:24:55

Thanks for the comment about the story sacks HerrenaHarridan. Interesting to see a different perspective. I'm just concerned that the parents I work with would see it as being patronised and take offence. None of the children are seemingly lacking in parental input and they all seem to have plenty of books and interaction at home, so I was worried it would be seen the wrong way if I attempted to influence what they do together at home.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 11-Jun-13 20:19:25

Sorry to hijack op but

To the pp who said story sacks were a bit too much like homework for 3 Yeats olds.

My dd gets a story bag from surestart and she absolutely loves it. She has been obsessed with dear zoo since it was in her story bag 6 mo ago!

I think parents like to feel involved and consulted so maybe you could use your reservations to do it In such a way that didn't feel like home work but gave parents an easy, non confrontational way to feedback with you and be involved I what their kids do when they're not there.

Sorry op. I'm sure you'll be fine really, your just panicking because your being checked up on! smile

Runoutofideas Tue 11-Jun-13 20:09:55

No - it hasn't appeared....Do you want to try again? Just click on "message poster" next to my name and it should work.

topoftheladder Tue 11-Jun-13 20:04:51

Hi runoutofideas. Did you get my email? Never done PM so just checking!

Runoutofideas Tue 11-Jun-13 14:38:12

Yes I agree. I had a couple of parent questionnaires completed which I can show her. Happy to email to you for you to adapt if you PM me an email address.

changeforthebetter Tue 11-Jun-13 14:36:37

Perhaps parents might like to add some comments (if you haven't already got some on file). I was happy to provide them for my CM.

Runoutofideas Tue 11-Jun-13 14:34:33

I registered last April and had my first inspection in October.

You don't need to do the Ofsted SEF, just show some sort of written self evaluation - mine was only about 2 pages long.

Make sure you have your registration cert and Ofsted poster visible. Ask to check her ID and ask her to sign in when she arrives.

My inspector was keen to see that I had grasped the changes between the old EYFS and the new one (which had only been in place 5 weeks when I was inspected.) She wanted to see that i'd thought about how I was going to produce a 2yr check.

I was graded "Good". She said to get to "outstanding" she needed to see more evidence of working with parents in gaining information about what developmental stages they had witnessed at home, rather than just in my setting. She suggested I send home story sacks with feedback forms, which all sounded a bit too much like homework for 2 yr olds to me! But I just nodded along!

Try to find out from cm's local to you/or your LA regarding what your local inspector is currently fixated with, as this does seem to vary hugely throughout the country.

Good luck with it - you'll be fine!

topoftheladder Tue 11-Jun-13 14:26:59

Really panicking. Its my first inspection post registration. I have all learning journeys up to date, policies and procedures and risk assessments. What else do they need to see? I haven't done my SEF!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now