This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Not being paid on time.

(9 Posts)
MissStrawberry Wed 12-Jun-13 20:00:31

I would be looking for a new job now, not in a few months.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 10-Jun-13 22:09:09

You shouldn't have to know and worry about the tax - we'll you Gould know iyswim but not your worry

The employers duty to pay the tax and ni out of their nannys gross wage

I assume then that you don't have your tax paid in this job? Your employer is breaking the law if they are not - and they could be fined if you told the inland revenue the tax office found out

Your employers Ob Have no respect for you as they can't pay you on time sad

Living in makes things harder as obv you will lose your home if you kick up a fuss and refuse to work - have you a friend you can stay with?

You need to tell them firmly that you need to be paid or you won't look after their children

Assume you have no contract as well?

My advice - find a new job ASAP and work for nice employers who respect their nanny

confusedalways Mon 10-Jun-13 21:55:54

I'm planning on leaving in a few months anyway once I've found a new job. It was my first job as a nanny and I was very naive so didn't realise anything about tax etc so I don't have payslips. Obviously I know better for next time but kind of stuck for now. It unsurprisingly wasn't a well paid offer so although I get paid weekly waiting the extra days means I don't have any money for food etc.

Ebb Mon 10-Jun-13 21:41:16

Sorry that should have read It's not fair enough! blush

bbcessex Mon 10-Jun-13 21:34:42

Blimey. That's awful for you.

It's not fair enough. It's completely the opposite. As a nanny employer, there is no way EVER I would 'not pay' my nanny, on time or otherwise. The nanny's wages are priority.

I can not imagine a situation where I said "sorry, I don't have the money", let alone "carry on working though won't you".

What happens with your payslips? My payroll company work out / issue the payslips but I'm responsible for the actual payment. Does that mean that you have payslips that are not accurate because you haven't had the physical money?

It is awkward talking about money, but I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and let your employers know that it is really not on to be late with payment, and can they please ensure you get paid on time in future.

In reality though - it may be time to start keeping an eye out for a new position?

Ebb Mon 10-Jun-13 21:32:14

shock No! It's fair enough! How fucking rude of them. If they don't have the money then they shouldn't employ a nanny. They are taking the mick big time. Sit them down and insist they set up a direct debit so you are paid on the same day each month. It's not fair that you have to go short. Did you get the job through an agency? If so get them to back you up. If they won't pay you on time, then I'd be looking for a new job.

nannynick Mon 10-Jun-13 21:30:59

Not really sure how to be of any help.
Paying you is not optional. It is part of the agreement between you and them. Failure to pay I would consider to be breaching that agreement.

Do you have a specific pay day, such as sometime in the last week of the month?
Are you getting a payslip detailing taxation deductions every time they pay you?

How do you generally communicate with your employer? I find it can be easier to raise issues over money via email, or in writing, as then that gives time for the matter to be considered before a response is given.

PowderMum Mon 10-Jun-13 21:30:40

Although not easy I think you need to tell your employer that you are not happy and ask that pay dates are agreed and stuck to. Tell them that you have expenses and payments to make and if they can't pay you on time then they are in breach of contract.
As a live in do you have family or friends that you can go and stay with?
If you do and they don't improve the next step will be to consider withdrawing your services until the matter can be resolved.

confusedalways Mon 10-Jun-13 21:17:22

I need some advice on not being paid on time. I'm a live in nanny and my employers keep on not paying me on time as they say they don't have the money. Which is fair enough but means I then don't have any money and keep having to borrow money off of family to cover things. I find money such an awkward thing and really don't like keep asking for it but it's getting beyond a joke. Any help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now