This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny rates for more than one child

(9 Posts)
Yonionekanobe Mon 10-Jun-13 21:10:44

Thank you all for your comments.

bbcessex Sun 09-Jun-13 21:12:18

As others say, nannies are not paid per child, it's per family. My eldest no longer needs a nanny so our nanny is predominantly one to one with my youngest; our nanny's rate has not changed (and nor should it)..

nannynick Sun 09-Jun-13 14:15:12

Around £12 gross would be regardless of the number of children. I have worked for families where they had 2, 3, 4 children where salary was not dependent on number of children.

If salary was dependent on number of children then when children go to school/pre-school then salary could drop.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 09-Jun-13 12:56:44

Nannies are paid per family, not per child. Families with one child may find they can offer slightly less than families with 4 children, for example, because they're offering an easier job, but it's not a case of £x amount per child, per hour.

I agree with Goldi, always use gross rates. You can point any applicants in the direction of MrA's calculator if they want to know what the rate is in net (many still do).

Yonionekanobe Sun 09-Jun-13 12:02:30

Many, many thanks Goldi.

GoldiChops Sun 09-Jun-13 10:33:36

Childminders set their rates, and charge per child. Nannies are you employee- you decide what their salary will be, and it doesn't differ on number of children. I've never gotten a pay raise when more children come along, but then I've never had a decrease when one goes to school full time! You are paid per family.

And please think in gross, not net. Are you paid net at work? there is no reason that nannies are paid net not gross, it's just habit and should be stopped. It's better for all involved that pay is gross. Best tool is the wonderful Mr Anchovy's calculator to find out your actual costs.

Yonionekanobe Sun 09-Jun-13 10:28:11

Yes, my toddler was 'helping'! Will contact HQ - thanks!

gorionine Sun 09-Jun-13 10:22:42

Not a stupid question (although I have no answer). You posted your thread 3x. Might want to ask MNHQ to take away 2 to make it less confusing when people more clued up than me come.smile

Yonionekanobe Sun 09-Jun-13 10:19:08

Please forgive what may seem a stupid question!

DH and I are considering employing a nanny for my return to work after DC2 arrives next year. In our area (London zone 2) we understand that net rates are £10 an hour. Is this also the case with two children or just for one!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now