Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminder, notice and holidays question

(5 Posts)
bamboostalks Sat 08-Jun-13 17:37:34

Do not pay for August, tats mad if you're not retaining services.

bamboostalks Sat 08-Jun-13 17:36:33

Will you no longer require her services in September? Then of course, hand in notice and find 4 days childcare before September. Family member, more annual leave etc.

ReetPetit Sat 08-Jun-13 17:31:54

just give notice 4 weeks ahead of whenever the last day of care is that you need. as i understand it, you are going to have to pay for the 3 weeks you are away anyway, aren't you? or have i got that wrong? if you don't want to pay for your holiday and/or the bank holiday, then give notice before 1st August and look after ds yourself for the 4 days before he starts school...

YDdraigGoch Sat 08-Jun-13 16:41:38

Give notice to leave before your hol, and ask her if she could take DC in a day rate for a few days before he starts school?

Clafford Sat 08-Jun-13 16:35:17

My three year old has been attending his beloved childminder (part time) for 2 years before he starts full time at nursery school in September. We're on holiday for the first 3 weeks of August. Contract states we pay full amount when we are on holiday and also on bank holidays (which would include the late August bank holiday).

I don't know quite what to do - give notice to terminate the contract before 1 August, or pay for all of August in order for my son to attend for the remaining 4 days in August before starting school?

I would like to remain on good terms with the childminder whom I like and admire. But paying for all of August for the benefit of a few days before school starts is an expensive way to go about things. My instinct is simply to pay for the whole period until school, but are there any compromise positions which would be fair to her and less of an outlay for us? Should I speak to her, or just forget about all of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now