Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Extra babysitting pay rates to a live-in nanny

(6 Posts)
Budur Sat 08-Jun-13 18:43:59

I wouldn't ask her just to babysit assuming its for free, that's no respect so I want to get it agreed in advance. She is a nanny but as she is new to the area and doesn't have many friends yet it was important for her to feel like a family as she spent a long time with the previous family. I think a different rate on week days and weekends would be th best solution.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 08-Jun-13 11:45:43

Is she a nanny or an au pair? You wouldn't normally treat a nanny as one of the family in the way you would an au pair.

A live-in nanny would normally have 1 or 2 babysits a week included in their normal wage, so as long as you're paying a good wage generally then you could increase the number of babysits included to allow for these occasional extras. This should be weekdays only though and pay extra for any weekend babysitting.

£8ph seems a very reasonable rate to me.

NomDeClavier Sat 08-Jun-13 10:26:38

Pay her but I'd have a different rate for weekend and weekday, say £6 and £8. She's more likely to get a last minute invite at the weekend herself. Our au pair often gets a message at 8 or 9 asking if she wants to go for a drink or something but that virtual never happens during the week.

Do you have an overtime rate agreed in case you're late home? That's not babysitting IMO as she could more easily refuse additional babysitting but even if she has plans she's stuck if you're late.

andrea29 Sat 08-Jun-13 08:27:36

Exactly as said above. I would pay her £8/hour for the whole evening as she cannot leave the house. I am sure the nanny will appreciate this and will not feel like she is being taken advantage of.

I used to be a live-in nanny and parents would occasionally ask me to babysit on the nights I wasn't going out for no extra money. They thought- oh, she is in so what's the problem, she won't mind looking after 2 sleeping children. If they paid me properly and appreciated my work, would have had a much better relationship.

So I would say definitely yes, pay her an hourly rate, she is giving up her night and as I said, she will feel appreciated.

Mbear Fri 07-Jun-13 22:46:02

I think you need to think of some kind of babysitting rate as although the kids would be in bed and she can do her own thing - she can actually only do it in the house. She cannot leave so therefore I think you should pay for that.

Budur Fri 07-Jun-13 22:34:06

Hi, we have a new live-in nanny starting soon and agreed on two nights of babysitting (possibly on Friday or a Saturday) as part of the monthly pay. We have not yet signed the contract so details to be agreed. She will know the days several weeks if not months in advance ( concert or a theatre, going out for dinner just for birthdays and an anniversary) and I do not think we will be out more than twice a month ( sometimes not at all). We do want her to have a life as well.

However, now I am thinking I need to agree on any extra babysitting rates if, for example, she is free we can just go to a cinema at the last minute. If it is on the weekend I would not mind paying for the whole time we are away say 8 per hour (what we paid our live out nanny before) as she can be out somewhere, but what about weekdays? Kids will be in bed by 8 and we sometimes even put them to bed and then go locally, do I still need to pay 8 per hour while kids are asleep and she is basically in her house so can just get on with her own things. I don't mind if she goes to bed as she can hear them if they will wake up (they are 3 and 5 years old and do usually sleep solidly and we ourselves go to bed early as need to get to work early morning).

Her hours will be 7 to 6 but older one is in school and younger one will be in the school time nursery 3 days a week. Obviously she will have them full day during term breaks but will get 5 weeks off holidays. We have a cleaner once a week and are in London zone 2. She is not a qualified nanny but has experience with same age kids so no issues there. She is fairly new to London so we said we are happy to take her with us on various sightseeing trips in and out of town that we do often in summer and pay for entrance fees, lunches etc although we won't need her on weekends as would want to be with kids ourselves, so it certainly won't be treated as work for her, more like a goodwill from us to treat her like a family.

Any suggestions? Shall I pay 8 until kids are asleep or less but the whole time until we get back ( usually at 11 at night) or roll on unused nights for up to 1 more month? Just want to be fair on this front (we may not even use the extra nights, just a potential). And what is considered babysitting, after 6 pm? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now