Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Lone parent returning to work, can't pay until tax credits come through

(13 Posts)
WarTime Thu 06-Jun-13 18:18:30

Mum feels 'the social' have made her take a low paid factory job, on the promise that tax credits will cover the childcare costs.

2 dc now enrolled with after school club, 1dc at cm ft.

She has applied for, but not yet recd wtc. She thinks its unreasonable that childcare providers won't wait until she receives pymt to be paid.

What do others do in this situation?

apotomak Thu 06-Jun-13 19:19:44

They are only going to cover up to 70% of the cost. So I would ask for 30% at least. There are also schemes with job centre helping people back to work so she might be entitled to more help. Tbh it is your business but the danger is she'll use you for a whole month and decide she doesn't like the job and doesn't pay. I personally would not provide a month of free childcare to anybody.

ReetPetit Thu 06-Jun-13 20:25:50

Im of the same opinion. Have had this done to me before and it's awful. Most people have someone the can ask to lend them money temporarily until their tax credits come through and to be blunt it's not your problem. Have also have someone start child either me, said they could only pay in arrears, then leave but carry on claiming using my number. Never again. You are a business, not a charity.

doughnut44 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:44:55

I have learned a very valuable lesson this week and that is DON'T TRUST ANYONE!

PeedOffMinder Thu 13-Jun-13 20:32:47

What happened doughnut44?

Groovee Uruguay Fri 14-Jun-13 08:41:37

I would expect as a parent to pay something towards childcare then catch up when I received them.

Wallison Fri 14-Jun-13 13:18:24

It's very difficult, but I think you need to insist on payment. You are putting yourself in a risky position if you don't, especially as it seems she is only doing the job because she's being forced to so she could end up quitting or getting sacked or whatever and then you may well not see a penny. It is tough for people going back to work though, because things like rent and childcare are paid in advance but the money comes through in arrears, so they are out of pocket having had a spell of not much money coming in at all so no way of building up a buffer. And the back-to-work money from the DSS is all finished now, so it's loans or nothing. That said, you can't provide a service for no money, and the parent needs to understand that.

HSMMaCM Fri 14-Jun-13 13:22:13

My terms are payment in advance. How that is done us up to the parents to organise. I'd rather they borrowed from a friend or the bank than me.

Ragusa Sat 15-Jun-13 22:36:30

Regardless of how difficult it might be for this potential client to get back into work, and how much sympathy you might have for her predicament, I would run a mile. IT's the whiff of entitlement and lack of touch with the real world inherent in the phrase she used about "thinking childcare prividers were unreasonable" for insisting on prior payment.... that rubs me up the wrongg wsy. Any reasonable person in her position would be appealing to your compassionate side, not loading you with guilt confused

doughnut44 Sun 16-Jun-13 10:30:37

peedoffminder, without going into detail I have just had a parent rip me of for 7 days pay £210. she refuses to acknowledge that she owes me. I also stupidly kept a place open for her youngest while she was on mat leave - I minded her eldest 2 until they went to school and because I knew she was skint (although they have just booked a fortnight in florida) I didn't charge a retainer. I settled in little one for nearly a month - minding 3 days a week 2 hours or more a day for no cost, even having to go out to buy baby milk and nappies because one morning she forgot to send and was in the hairdressers so couldn't get out (again stupid me). anyway the week before baby was due to start I received a text to say she is very sorry but she has decided not to go back to work. at first I was upset because these things happen but then I found out she took voluntary redundancy over 2 months ago (hence florida trip) so she knew she wouldn't be using me but used me as an unpaid babysitter so she could get her hair done and get her house sorted out.
The money outstanding is from one her previous children. I can't be bothered with small claims court.
I am more annoyed with myself for being so stupid.
Anyway it's an expensive lesson learned!

doughnut44 Sun 16-Jun-13 10:32:06

whoops just realised that I did go into detail lol

Groovee Uruguay Sun 16-Jun-13 11:07:45

Doughnut that is shocking. Poor you x

looneytune Sun 16-Jun-13 15:41:36

Not your problem. I always got paid in advance when I was childminding and it was none of my business how they got the money to me as long as I was paid.

I do feel for people who are skint, we're skint and struggled for a long time, moreso since I went on maternity leave in March as dh was also out of work. He started a job (horray!) 2 weeks ago and we didn't have money for the fuel he needed to get to the job so we've had to borrow and will pay back when he gets his first pay. That's life I'm afraid. I've heard of too many people being ripped off in the past and I wouldn't risk it if I were you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now