This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding - how do I get into it?

(17 Posts)
Willsmum79 Tue 11-Jun-13 21:57:24

Thanks again. I am still thinking about it but haven't spoken to DH who likes his money!

I personally am not bothered about money - as long as it keeps a roof over our heads and live 'comfortably'.

It's a hard decision and not one I will take lightly. Tonight I have spent 3 hours doing reports and 1 lesson plan. I am constantly drained!

NarkyNamechanger Wed 05-Jun-13 09:09:22

Sorry

But your take home pay will be less because it costs more to feed, entertain, transport 4 or 5 children than it dies for the current 3.

NarkyNamechanger Wed 05-Jun-13 09:07:57

And ratios- take on more children, with higher outcomes, but drop your price so it's more affordable.

But your take g

Tanith Wed 05-Jun-13 07:05:13

We don't deal with Gove - as I said, it's Truss (same sort of mindset, though).
I'll concede the "intrusive targets, though (at the moment!). Substitute self assessment, SEFs and Quality Initiatives for them smile

Megjes Tue 04-Jun-13 20:50:39

Hi. I am a primary school teacher who has just stopped after 13 years in order to become a childminder. Although childminding can never be described as an easy option, my work life balance is far far better than it was before. I am much happier. Yes there is paperwork, but planning for 2-3 minded children does not compare to the five way differentiation required for a class of 30. Money wise, I am better off when I take into account that I do not have to pay for childcare for my own children. At the moment (and I recognise I am new to this) I feel this is one of the best decisions I ever made!

happydazed Tue 04-Jun-13 20:35:02

I gave up a well paid job to be a cm and I don't regret it at all. Spent today on the beach with my son and 4 other kids his age he considers his best friends, can't do that in many jobs. Its not for everyone and your house does get very messy. paperwork I have been told isn't as bad as teachers do, although you get time allocated to do it which we don't. Best thing for me is being my own boss, I love it. I work with an assistant and earn enough money, not loads but when I take my own childcare costs out it works out ok.

Willsmum79 Tue 04-Jun-13 20:09:37

Thank you for ALL messages - even the doom and gloom ones are interesting to here! I know that every job comes with it's pitfalls and there is no such thing as a perfect job. I just need to weigh everything up and decide which ones are more 'weighty' than others.

I.E. Gove - I am not aware of intrusive targets he has set for childminders although I know someone may tell me that I am wrong!

ReetPetit Tue 04-Jun-13 19:04:11

I really wouldn't recommend it!! Its a massive intrusion on your family life/home, rubbish pay, we are spoken down to but a lot of people as though we are not even working and most of the reasons you've listed for giving up teaching are the reasons i want to give up cm!! Also, its hard to find term time mindees ime so you will lose your school holidays.
Sorry to sound all doom and gloom but it mostly is...

nannynick Tue 04-Jun-13 18:27:31

Also consider impact on your Pension. As a teacher you are probably in a pension scheme to which your employer contributes. You may even be in a final salary scheme, though thats doubtful.

Cpnsider what your child wants - whilst they may like mum to be around more, they may not want to share you with baby, toddler and school aged children. If you get to spend quality time with your child during school holidays would you want to lose that.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 04-Jun-13 16:23:01

Don't underestimate the amount of intrusion either.
You just can't imagine how it feels to have parents/ relatives etc coming into your home every freaking morning at the crack of dawn.

Your house needs to be presentable at all times. You vac up on a evening knowing that by noon it'll be the same again! The mess is unreal! The marks on the wall are unreal too. My loo is upstairs and there's a trail of muck from dirty hands all the way up stairs.

Paper work/ accounts is a pain in the ass and has to be done after a 7-6 day (which is really 7-7 by time you've cleaned up.

NarkyNamechanger Tue 04-Jun-13 14:28:51

Agree with Tanith.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 04-Jun-13 14:01:11

The pay will be measly compared to that of a teacher & the hours longer as you'll work 7-7 and then have paperwork & not as Many holidays to catch up
Plus as your children grow older they won't want a house full of preschoolers

I'd really think twice about giving up teaching to become a childminder

Tanith Tue 04-Jun-13 13:49:30

I hate to say it but, looking at your reasons for wanting to change career, are you really sure childminding is an alternative? Substitute "Truss" for "Gove" and you have listed the reasons so many childminders are giving up.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 04-Jun-13 12:47:57

Hi,
I'm on my phone so might not cover everything as I can't check back.

With regard to salary it is extremely variable as each area has a different going rate. I'm up north and charge £3.50/ hour all included except nappies and trip money. But some areas are much higher.

With regards to overheads
Your heating and elec will be on more in the day so will rise.

My petrol hasn't as I walk to school as its close by. Petrol can be claimed against tax, as can a % of your utility bills and wear and tear too is taken off your earnings.

Food is the most costly thing for me. So consider if you will provide a cooked meal after school or just a light tea. I found I binned a lot of tea as the children didn't eat it. I buy good healthy stuff, but don't provide lots of sweets, crisps or biscuit due to
healthy eating and cost!

With regards to resources I have used my own children's things e.g sand pit, cars, duplo, Lego etc. and you can in fact sell them to your self in order to bring your tax down (in line with their second hand value).
Plus there are lots of natural things that you can use for learning that don't cost anything like - pebbles, logs etc. or things like cardboard boxes which kids love.

I keep costs down by not printing out loads of stuff. I know one CM who uses Sparkle box like its going out of fashion. But I refuse.

Do some research online there lots of CM / blogs and there's some great examples of activities. Often so cheap and simple. smile

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 04-Jun-13 07:28:33

Re overheads, utilities and food, petrol etc

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 04-Jun-13 07:27:22

Contact your local council and they will get the ball rolling. In my area (south east england) You need to

- attend pre registration info sessions (these answer all your listed questions)
- do compulsory online course
- register with ofsted
- paediatric first aid
- food hygiene certificate
- register with environmental health as a food business
- declare yourself as a data controller with the information commissioners office
- get public liability insurance and change home and car insurance if necessary
- crb checks
- join Pacey?

You could go on their website to look it all up.

Sounds a lot but its just a lot if little bits which are fairly straight forward

Re paperwork, if you want minimal you can do minimal

Willsmum79 Mon 03-Jun-13 22:33:23

I am looking for a career change. I have been a Primary School Teacher for thirteen years and getting fed up with the workload, the constant changes, the harrassment form Gove and his government croonies, the hurdles and increasing pressure that 'we' are under to reach impossible targets.

I know childminding is not an easy task and comes with it's own drawbacks but I am seriously considering it in the next couple of years. (possibly as early as September 2014 or 2015 when my own son is 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 years old)

I would love to hear from anyone who has recently become a childminder, who could offer me tips, guidance on the steps I need to take to become one, especially the following:
1. Training.
2. Registration.
3. Qualifications.
4. Adult to child ratios - I have a 17 month old to take into consideration.
5.. Salary - average a parent would pay for full days, half days and hourly.
6. Overheads - what to take into consideration.
7. What I will need to buy to enable children to play and learn.
8. Paperwork - important as I need something that isn't as much workload as teaching.

Not bothered about OFSTED - main reasons are more time with my son and family AT HOME, being my own boss, having more control over the learning that 'my' little ones do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now