This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Why can't I find a Nanny? Help me please

(84 Posts)
childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:30:07

I am paying £2200 for Nursery and hoped that could be better spent on a Nanny.

-I'm in London, zone 5 but pleasant enough and 30min to centre
- standard 3 bed house with garden, being decorated but very clean
-3yr old and 8 month old
-we're teachers and as we pay nursery anyway we happy to either pay in holidays or free them up to get high paid holiday work
-need 4 days per week
-(I think) we're nice and normal, kids very easy
-can offer live in or out (single bedroom)

What am I doing wrong it not being able to get anyone? I've tried chilcare.co.uk, gumtree and asked around but nada. I don't need experience, happy for a national of another country, just someone who really likes kids.

How do you find them?

Wossname Mon 27-May-13 17:48:13

Thats all happened very quickly, hasnt it? You posted at half 5 last night and then interviewed 4 applicants today- astonishing!

nannynick Mon 27-May-13 17:55:35

Bank holidays can be great for seeing applicants. I remember having an interview for a job on a Bank Holiday Monday once, it was convenient for all involved.

Hope the next one arrives on time, maybe they are already there as it's nearly 6 now.

oldgreybird Mon 27-May-13 18:18:54

I assume the £2200 gross per month is the maximum you can pay to cover the nanny's net salary and her tax and NIC plus your NIC that you have to pay as an employer. This means the nanny will earn approx £370 net per week (£465 gross) and you would pay £2019 gross to cover everything. If the nanny gets £370 net for a 4 day week (40 hours), it is the equivalent of £9.25 net. For Zone 5 it is on the low side, but should not be impossible to find someone. But I suspect your poor response is more to do with the area. Someone living locally or nearby would be thrilled I am sure not to have to travel far to get to work and they would save money by not having to travel so the rate would be less of an issue. However, maybe you live in an area where there are not a lot of nannies living nearby. If it is only 30 mins in to Central London, then have you said in your advert that it is within quick and easy commute of many areas? And if you are close to a rail station then say which one it is in your advert.
Incidentally, have you thought about doing a nanny share? It is such a common thing nowadays. If you could find another local family with a child of similar age to your little one, it would probably be best as the share would last longer. But there may be someone with another 3yr old in your child's school/nursery for instance who might be interested in doing some sort of a share - it would be worth contacting as many of the parents as you can.
A nanny doing a nanny share, looking after 2 families children on the same days, usually earns about £2 net per hour more than she would get working for just one family. However, the two families then split the cost between them including the tax and NIC so the gross cost for the parents is considerably less than if the nanny was only working for one family. Even if you were paying 60% of the nannyshare cost (because you have 2 children) and the other family was paying 40% (because they only have 1 child), it is still a big saving for you.

childcarehell Mon 27-May-13 20:22:48

wossname, not bad! One was gumtree, three childcare.co.uk, two of which I contacted. One of which I'd been in contact with before, but hadn't gone further (it was for 3 days, but upped to 4). Bank holiday was the day we did as it's a day off.

The last was a pleasant girl, but the first was the one still. She had mainly au pair experience and I felt the first would be capable of .

I rang the first to come back, I was thinking of inviting her to lunch next week to try and get to know/ talk in a relaxed manner. What do you think of that plan? She's shy and my husband can be scary (unintentionally, it's from being a scary headteacher) and I thought it would relax her. Also she said she wanted a role where she could feel part of the family, we'd like that too so it seems welcoming. Is it the right thing to do? I thought it would be time she could spend with the kids a bit too.

traintracks Mon 27-May-13 20:25:29

Fwiw I advertised extensively on all the websites, was inundated with emails from people who clearly hadn't read the ad (not available the days I wanted or didn't have a driving licence which it was clear was essential). Gave up in the end and used an agency, it was the best £750 I have ever spent.

Glenshee Mon 27-May-13 21:18:13

Do you feel like you need this lunch in order to make a decision? If not, then I would make a job offer first, then invite her to lunch so that she can ask any outstanding questions, and get to know you better before giving your the answer. It's not fair to prolong the process beyond what is useful/necessary.

childcarehell Mon 27-May-13 21:19:41

ok, the job offer is there, it's just details. But I get what you're saying

Glenshee Tue 28-May-13 18:16:15

I think lunch together sounds great, so long as she knows where she stands with you. Otherwise it's another interview of sorts, which is not at all relaxing IYKWIM.

childcarehell Tue 28-May-13 20:52:46

I invited her in the end, made it clear it wasn't an interview. It was for her to meet kids and us less formally and talk about details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now