This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Why can't I find a Nanny? Help me please

(84 Posts)
childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:30:07

I am paying £2200 for Nursery and hoped that could be better spent on a Nanny.

-I'm in London, zone 5 but pleasant enough and 30min to centre
- standard 3 bed house with garden, being decorated but very clean
-3yr old and 8 month old
-we're teachers and as we pay nursery anyway we happy to either pay in holidays or free them up to get high paid holiday work
-need 4 days per week
-(I think) we're nice and normal, kids very easy
-can offer live in or out (single bedroom)

What am I doing wrong it not being able to get anyone? I've tried chilcare.co.uk, gumtree and asked around but nada. I don't need experience, happy for a national of another country, just someone who really likes kids.

How do you find them?

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:31:16

I've had one show interest btw, an eastern european girl, but I think she was aiming for a plush job/ house rather than an average family.

For a post of 4 days a week I suspect you either need to be paying the same as 5 OR find somebody who wants to work 4 rather 5 days. Obviously the former is expensive and the latter is rare - hence your problem. Most people either want to be part time (say 3 days max) or full time. Have you checked the pay you're offering with other positions in the neighbourhood? Is there anybody else nearby who also wants a nanny and you can arrange some sort of share?

Ilikethebreeze Sun 26-May-13 17:36:32

Is that £2200 per month?
Have you interviewed anyone?

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:37:42

well live in we could offer the five day rate, it's a point I hadn't though of tbh

I've asked around but everyone seems sorted unlike me!

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:39:51

interviewed 1, the only reply.

Nursery is very very expensive.

£64 per day, so 64 x 4 x 4= 1024, x 2 = 2048 roughly

Would three days a week nanny and one day nursery work out any cheaper? Just wonder if it's worth advertising for a 3 or 4 day nanny and see if you attract more response? That way you keep both options open to for back up.
The other (radical plan) is to move further out of London to a land of either more plentiful nannies or cheaper nurseries!

YDdraigGoch Sun 26-May-13 17:44:00

Are you looking for someone with qualifications? I'd not, I suspect my DD (18) would love that job!

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:44:17

I could try that northen, I have a friend who'd do a day or 2. thanks

my job isn't moveable easily sadly

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:45:21

I had one 18 yr old look, but I must say it seems so young for the role. i had 20 as a cut off really.

Ilikethebreeze Sun 26-May-13 17:45:29

Apart from the 4 days bit, I dont see a problem on first glance.
And that seems generous for 4 days, maybe what you would get for 5 days.
What hours would it be?
On threads like this, some posters show the whole advert - though not sure I would if I was in your position.

I would have thought that whatever problem it is, has to be to do with the advert, as you have only had one applicant.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 26-May-13 17:46:06

I'm going to disagree with Northern 4-day nanny jobs are actually very sought after, because it gives full-time hours (about 40hrs usually), but still allows a long weekend.

There are far more nannies than jobs at the moment so if you're offering market rates you should find someone very easily.

Have you put an advert on gumtree and childcare.co.uk or are you just replying to ads from nannies? Maybe post the ad here and we can have a look for you. Are you making it clear that you're willing to pay the holidays? Nannyjob.co.uk is a good place to try and mumsnet/netmums local sites. A nanny ad on gumtree usually elicits hundreds of responses. Are you getting responses from people who aren't suitable or no responses at all? If it's the latter I'd check there isn't something wrong with your email!

GoldiChops Sun 26-May-13 17:49:16

Seems a fairly normal role, I'd go for it if I was looking and it was my area- where are you? I'm 5 days, 60 hours a week and get roughly that amount gross for looking after 4 kids, in SW London.

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:51:38

the advert is pretty similar to what my bullet points say, but in sentences, bar the bit about the house. I've done it a few ways now, very little response bar a few that want to earn more than I do (45k!) with no qualifications.

I haven't even said we're teachers in it

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:52:53

we're ne london, I do notice there are few nannies/ job here.

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:53:38

just did a gumtree ad, though I've had one on childcare.co.uk for weeks

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:54:03

i have a baby on my lap so sorry about curtness and punctuatopn

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 26-May-13 17:54:31

Have you specified hours and pay in your ad?

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 17:57:15

I've put hours, but pay to be discussed as it'd vary on experience. I'd stretch for a good one, but less for unqualified/ poor english

The one I interviewed today was clearly looking for grand surroundings, she'd been in america for 5 yrs so I think any London house would be a dark hole

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 26-May-13 17:59:11

You need to specify pay, that puts LOADS of people off replying to an ad because you get so many timewasters who offer you £100pw. You can put a range in to cover different levels of experience. Something along the lines of £10-13 gross ph.

NannySunshine Sun 26-May-13 18:03:58

Hi

I'm a very regular poster, but I have namechanged for this thread.

I tried to PM you, but for some reason I can't seem to PM anyone at the moment (I suspect tech is messing about hmm).

I would be interested in reading your childcare.co.uk advert as it sounds like a position I could be interested in.

I'm on my way out for a couple of hours so I wont be able to reply until later.

GoldiChops Sun 26-May-13 18:06:54

I agree to putting a pay scale on the ad- back when I was a naive, fairly inexperienced nanny I travelled up from Cornwall for an interview in London only to find out they wanted to pay £200 in cash, no tax/NI, for a full time job. Now I never even respond to ads without pay mentioned, it does usually mean the parents want to pay next to nothing. A scale is fine, from your lowest to below your highest you want to pay.

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 18:07:37

I'd added pay, thank you

I put £9-12 per hour or approx £350 live-in

ok for london? tbh over 12ph means it costs me to work

nanny....I'll pm you if you like the sound?

childcarehell Sun 26-May-13 18:09:20

8am-6pm, paying that rate btw, plus mentioned some days could go earlier

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 26-May-13 18:11:47

The rate most nannies in London are looking for is about £10ph net (which is about £12ph gross). Inexperienced nannies, NWOC or those with less than perfect English are usually willing to take less. £9ph gross is low for London, but if you're open to someone moving on from being an au pair then you could find someone for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now