This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Realistic? CM when returning to work

(22 Posts)
scottishmummy Mon 27-May-13 00:52:01

well done planning this now,I had nursery booked12wk pg
ask about for recommendations,visit cm,get feel for it
and congrats when baby arrive

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 27-May-13 00:42:59

Agree far too early to look. Who know what will happen within the year

A friend who is a cm agreed to take on a not born baby and baby was born with special needs and she wasn't capable to have him as of others she looks after so pulled out

Another cm I know agreed and saved space and then mum changes her mind and didn't go back to work even tho she said she couldn't afford not to - she obv managed

A cm is cheaper then a nanny for one child and probably even a nwoc works out more then a cm

By all means have a look about. It's possible someway have gaps ready for next year but I would wait till nearly given birth so maybe dec and then what is about in 3/4mths ie march/April

nannynick Sun 26-May-13 21:16:17

Westminster Childminders info from Family Information Service. Looks like lists are published monthly. Some give cost. Looking at the lists with luck will give an idea of number of minders in your area and cost, then in 6 months you can start contacting people directly to enquire about future availability.

Blimey mortified can I come to where you live? Mine charges double that!

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 19:05:15

Dear god, my CM is £4ph inc. all.meals drinks and snacks plus two toddler groups per week.

forevergreek Sun 26-May-13 18:26:08

Not really. We paid a childminder 3 years ago £85 per day near Westminster.

I'm assuming London working will mean at least 10-11 hrs out of the home with commute and work.
Childminder
£85 x2 = £170 that was 8-5 , 9 hrs. And hr earlier or later was £8.50 an hour. So £214 for 2 days at 11 hrs days

Nanny
£11 gross per hour x 11 hours = £121 a day. £241 for 2 days. That's before tax to nanny.

£27 difference. But for that £27 you could have all child meals cooked, child's laundry/ room/ etc done. Plus they look after baby when sick also which childminder wouldn't. You also won't have to wake baby early to leave etc

Yes expensive, but v similar price to childminder hence the comparison. If you need less hours a nanny might be even cheaper.

Inclusionist Sun 26-May-13 18:13:45

I had paid a retainer to my CM before birth! She had a reputation for being the best in the area (did a lot work for the borough training and mentoring other CMs, ran the CM network etc) and had a long waiting list. Sadly she retired after a year, but that year was worth it!!

BackforGood Sun 26-May-13 17:42:44

Forevegreek that is a LOT more expensive than a CM shock

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 17:35:57

shock 1000 pcm for two days a week?! forever thats a heck of a lot of.money!

MortifiedAdams Sun 26-May-13 17:14:51

My DM is a CM and has minded a three week old whose mother was at uni and had to go in for lectures.

You will definetly find a CM willing to take a three month old for two days a week. I would advise looking once you get to 8m pg, with a view to selecting one at about 6/8wks post.birth.

forevergreek Sun 26-May-13 17:06:59

I would look early. Mainly as childminders have limited spaces for certain ages. Some will already know that certain children are off to nursery say at Easter/ school in sept/ or moving at Xmas. So if you are on their list they can call you as soon as they know. 7 weeks is a bit early though maybe more in sept time onwards

Have you also considered a nanny with own child? They might be a little cheaper than normal nanny as bring own child too. There will no doubt be lots of nannies who want to go back to work part time with baby. 2 days is ideal compared to 5. They will work from your home so no need to rush out in the morning/ rush home to feed as all sorted. I would say £250 gross a week would get you 2 days between 10-12 hrs daily. Nanny could also make food etc for baby to take to grandparents etc on other days as well as other things.

nannynick Sun 26-May-13 09:04:35

May be worth initially finding out how many childminders are in your area and what sort of cost they are. Your local council Family Information Service is a starting point to get a list of local childminders.
I agree that they won't be able to say if they can take your baby in 11 months or so time but at least you will have an idea of what services are available locally and can recheck in say 6 months.

Horriblefeeling Sun 26-May-13 09:03:34

Ok! I shall sit on my hands.

ReetPetit Sun 26-May-13 09:00:16

gosh, you are thinking about this early confused just relax!!

we work on a very short timescale - i wouldn't even be looking until baby is born. i have been approached before birth before and tbh have been put off = found the parents too pushy and have refused the work.

and no, we take babies too.

Horriblefeeling Sun 26-May-13 08:58:26

Reetpetite, scan on Friday confirmed I am 7.5 weeks.

Really just wanted advice, as it is my first and I was guessing that some (many?) CMs might only take older children.

ReetPetit Sun 26-May-13 08:55:59

no, don't start looking now. nurseries may be different but personally and with the cms i know we would be put off by someone looking a year in advance - theres no way someone can say what they will be doing in a year's tiime.

Horriblefeeling Sun 26-May-13 08:51:05

Wow! It seems bizarre to be looking even pre-birth, but I shall get started.

Is it harder to find someone to take on such a young baby?

ReetPetit Sun 26-May-13 08:48:20

whats the problem here?? There are lots of cms in london and 2 days is standard confused lots of cms like looking after babies as they stay longer and are easier to get in to our routine. you don't have an issue, other than really needing to use the same 2 days each week - very few cms will want to take a child who's days change each week.

But please don't start looking yet!! Cms work on around a 1-2 month timescale, so if you start contacting people i'm afraid they won't be interested in april 2014 now - the earliest i would start to contact cms in your position would be jan 2014. Are you even pregnant yet?? Loosing track of time here - congrats if you are though! lol grin

christinarossetti Sun 26-May-13 08:42:13

My children go to a childminder 2 days a week and so do others that I know.

I would agree that it's worth starting to look for childminders very soon - you definitely want to know what the arrangements will be before you give birth.

bluecarrot Sun 26-May-13 08:36:35

I can't see a problem with it.. It would be more problematic if the days changed every week, but same days every week can be planned around easily.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I think you should have no problem finding a CM for two days a week.

I would advise looking for a CM asap though - it may take a while to find the right person and I always worry (as a CM) that parents may have to settle for the only available person because they have left finding a CM until the last minute, IYSWIM!

Horriblefeeling Sun 26-May-13 08:15:31

Still early days for us, but I am looking for wisdom!

Baby is due in Jan 2014. For financial reasons, I am going to have to go back to work at 3 months. My provisional plan is to go back 4 days a week, leaving baby with my wonderful mum for 2 days (when I hope to work extended hours) , then with a CM for a further two days (normal length days). I know it is not going to be easy to do this, but there is no option at the moment.

So, do you think I will be able to find a childminder to do this? As long as the days were the same every week, it would not matter when in the week they were (though my mum would be doing two days in a row, so there is some flexibility. We are in London(Westminster).

Thank you for your thoughts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now