This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder concern

(14 Posts)
cherrypiesally Sat 18-May-13 21:21:10

I am not sure if I should report my childminder or just leave the situation calmly.

My DS is in reception and started at this CM last sept for before and after school care. In the first term there were 2 incidents of cm not bring able to have him after school with only a weeks notice given each time, both for non-essential reasons.

Second term- one incident of same as above plus DS started saying he didn't want to go there as her kids fight all the time and he's not allowed to play with toys( DS can exaggerate though).

This term - one day she asked if I could pick up my son as she wanted to go to the salon, then she forgot to pick my son up from school and I got emergency call from school. This was followed with a major bump on head in playground caused by her son pushing mine over, no ice administered, we weren't called and no accident report.

We now have another CM lined up and given this one 4 week notice but should I report the current and to who?

We are in Reading if that helps with who report to.

TIA

NarkyNamechanger Sat 18-May-13 21:24:50

Tbh she doesn't sound great but I can't really see exactly what you want to report her for?

Obviously an accident form should have been bono keyed but it was a one off so maybe she forgot?

Ofsted don't get involved in contractual disputes (the non availability) so I think you should just move on and enjoy your new cm.

NarkyNamechanger Sat 18-May-13 21:25:30

Bono keyed???? Sorry completed

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 18-May-13 21:29:49

I don't think you can report her to anyone for the reliability issues.

The forgetting to pick him up, maybe, but he was at school, so was safe.

Was the bump on the head in the playground at school? Or after school when they were with her? Was your DS ok? Did she tell you about it at pick-up? What time did it happen and what time did you pick him up?

cherrypiesally Sat 18-May-13 21:30:12

Thanks. I wasn't sure, the main thing I suppose was her forgetting to pick my son up.
It isn't my nature to complain, its just friends keep saying i should report her; will probably just move on to new CM.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 18-May-13 21:30:12

Loving Bono Keyed btw grin

cherrypiesally Sat 18-May-13 21:32:48

The bump was after school when she took him to the playground, happened at least an hour before pick up but she didn't tell me until text later after my son had told me, the bump was egg size so huge! He was ok just upset and said it hurt a lot.

NarkyNamechanger Sat 18-May-13 21:33:08

grin

I agree it's not great to forget to pick him up but he wasn't in her care so she didn't 'lose' him. I'm not sure ofsted would do anything as outraged says, he was safe at school. Sorry you went through this. It's a pain but not a safeguarding issue which is what ofsted are there for.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 18-May-13 21:42:09

You could possibly report the bump on the head. I'd use your discretion. If you think there is something fundamentally wrong with her safeguarding/health and safety or first aid awareness then report.

If you think, accidents happen, kids will fall/be pushed over and bang their heads, she checked he was ok, handover is manic/she's busy and she forgot to tell you at pick-up, remembered later when she got a quiet minute and text you then don't report.

I'm a nanny, so slightly different, but I've definitely forgotten to tell the parents things at hand-over, remembered later and text them to tell them. I'm human, I forget things sometimes.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 19-May-13 08:11:26

Someone once made up a report about me that a baby bumped its head and I did nothing and I had ofsted round so think they'd want to know about it but its proving it happened, did you take pics? It should have been logged though.

cherrypiesally Sun 19-May-13 08:30:43

Thanks for all the advice.
Still unsure there are other safeguarding issues such as children not using car seats and many other 'accidents' but I have no proof such as photos; I think I will just talk to her about it and leave her on pleasant terms.

I had such a fab CM before who moved away it has been hard moving to one not so organised and it is horrible seeing your child upset.

I know it's manic for her but I work in a school and see staff there having a more manic time but do their job fully, she only has 2 minders as well both are wrap around so she isn't that busy.

Thanks again everyone

aufaniae Sun 19-May-13 08:37:39

Not using car seats is illegal isn't it? Well depending on the age I guess, how old were they at the time?

What are the other safeguarding issues?

NarkyNamechanger Sun 19-May-13 12:30:46

Oh here comes the drip feed...

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 20-May-13 15:00:29

What other accidents / safeguarding issues?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now