Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nanny from 6.30am to get DS out of bed?

(28 Posts)
Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 10:04:38

get ready for school, take him to school 5 miles away, pick him up at 3 and then stay with him until I get home at 6pm, or take him swimming lesson etc.
So nanny would actually work 6.30-9 and then 3-6. Don't need them during the day
Would I just pay them for those hours, or work out some other payment plan?
Will someone actually want to do this?
Help please? All new to me!

forevergreek Fri 17-May-13 19:26:42

I would say you would have to pay full time also.

I work 5am-10pm one day as a nanny. I'm paid double pay 5-8am, then regular, then double 8-10pm ( also do other regular hours different days)

Nannyowl Fri 17-May-13 17:12:14

hi Bvlgari

Another point with split shifts is the travel expense. Unless a nanny lives very close to you it will not be worth the petrol/wear and tear of her car costs to do your job.
For example if she lives ten miles away at 45 p per mile that is £18 per day! Fifteen miles away travel costs £27.
So look local.

MiTran Fri 17-May-13 17:01:27

Hi Bvlgari

I am available, I live in w10 Queens Park, please call me on 07789206355, if you are still looking for a Nanny

Kind regards

Mi Tran

my2bundles Fri 17-May-13 15:50:39

This sounds similar to a job I had. I would pick up the children, take to school, pick up at home time and provide care untill 6pm. I worked full time in the holidays and due to this fact I charged full time because due to the holidays I was not able to fill the school hours gap with other work.

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 17-May-13 02:43:48

I have exactly this set up. To make it work, our nanny lives in and is paid a full time wage. It's not cheap but I couldn't function without this arrangement because I simply wouldn't be able to do my job.

Good luck

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 22:26:04

There is a mum I could do the afternoon nanny share with, but that's another thread! The kids don't really get on!

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 16-May-13 22:18:44

I think a nanny is your only choice really then. NWOC or nanny share will keep costs down. Maybe ask some of the mums with young babies if they'd be interested in sharing? Otherwise you may get a bargain with a nanny who doesn't mind not being paid or only getting a retainer for the middle hours. A newly qualified nanny would be cheaper.

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 22:15:14

Ds is 5.5
The school bus is run really well, but doesn't stop at the top of the road, it's a bit of a walk

No teenage neighbours
There's a few mums with young babies, but not sure I can randomly ask them! No-one I know well enough anyway

Actually I've just remembered that there was a lovely girl who did a bit of cleaning for us, she then got a nanny job, might have moved on

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 16-May-13 22:05:45

Do you have any neighbours with reliable teens looking to earn some cash? That could work if all they need to do is supervise him getting dressed, give him some breakfast and then put him on the school bus.

How old is DS?

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 22:03:05

I'm not really going to take ds out of school so I can go back to work!

Right now I'm just trying to figure out if this early start for me is doable.
I'm not sure it is
I'm not happy with dragging him out earlier, I'm not happy with someone else waking him up and me just spending 1 or 2 hours with him

Told you it was a headache!

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 16-May-13 22:03:03

Having someone live-in, in a tiny house when you really don't want someone living in is going to be miserable for you and for them.

'I can't see a nwoc wanting to start work at 6.30am...'

I guess it depends what time their child wakes up and how close they live to the OP. No harm in asking/looking is there?

ChippingInLovesSunshine Thu 16-May-13 21:56:50

Good luck, wrap around nannies are hard to find sad

TwasBrillig Thu 16-May-13 21:55:04

Do they have to go to a school 5 miles away? Would a cm be able to take them to a closer one?

Kiriwawa Thu 16-May-13 21:52:29

You need an AP I think, much as you don't like the idea of it. I'd hate it too so I sympathise but I couldn't make my DS get up and out at that time every day so I could get to work. I feel bad enough dragging him out at 7.30

ReetPetit Thu 16-May-13 21:48:30

very few cms would be willing to start at 6.30am. if you do find one, be prepared to have to pay double time from 6.30 to whenever her normal working day starts...

(sorry to be all doom and gloom sad)

i think au pair is best bet, not much fun for your ds to be dropped off at 6.30 in the morning i wouldn't think - is this every day?

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 21:48:04

I honestly think I can't do the job with 7.30 start

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 21:46:22

There's a bit of a problem with childminders, I can't find any close to the school, it's a bit remote, and because it's not on main public transport route, it just puts time on the commute.

A local childminder could work but they're unlikely to do the drop off 5 miles away
The school has a bus service, if I could link the childminder with the bus that could work

ReetPetit Thu 16-May-13 21:45:38

I can't see a nwoc wanting to start work at 6.30am...

you are going to struggle to find a live out who will start at 6.30 unless you compensate for this by paying a full days rate while ds is at school. Also if you want f/t in the holidays, you really need to be prepared to pay all year round.

your best option is an au pair, i would think...

sunnyshine Thu 16-May-13 21:18:50

You could drop off in pjs.smile

sunnyshine Thu 16-May-13 21:18:12

A child minder could do the after school and probably the morning too. I know childminders that start at 7am for a highest rate.

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 21:11:25

Can't swing a cat in our house!
I'm not keen on someone else in my house anyway

RandomMess Thu 16-May-13 21:00:50

Could you house an au pair?

Bvlgari Thu 16-May-13 20:59:26

Well 12 hours a day works out at a lot of money, so that's probably not worth it

2 separate nannies might work

It's the 6.30 start that's the problem

This is going to be a right headache!

nannynick Thu 16-May-13 11:05:23

Before/after school nannies exist. Some will do full time in school holidays, with some weeks off as statutory holiday.

The nanny may have their own child, it may fit well with that.

It will not suit all nannies.

If you want nanny to be oncall during school hours, such as incase your child becomes ill, then that might complicate things.

A 6:30am start time may not appeal to many.

Runoutofideas Thu 16-May-13 11:01:36

It may work for a student who can go off to college in the day. Other than that I think you might struggle to find anyone who can manage to not be paid between 9 and 3. Also what would you do in the school holidays, or if the child is ill? You might have more luck looking for two separate people - an early morning nanny and an after school nanny. That way the morning nanny is free for the rest of the day from 9am, so could feasibly have another job, and you may find it easier to sort other childcare from 3-6 (afterschool club/childminder etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now