This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice please- what would you do re childcare for a 1 & 2 year old?

(29 Posts)
kindlegeek Sat 11-May-13 12:07:02

At the moment I have a lovely childminder who has the babies 3 days a week whilst I work. Though in September I am going full time and she does not want to do full time, so I am looking for someone else. Though the biggest problem I am having is the costs!

The cheapest childminder I found would be £400 a week, and I provide everything. And the highest I found was £700 a week for the both!! Now I would go for quality over price all the time, But even £400 a week amounts to £1600 a month and I'm still paying nappies/ breakfast/lunch/ dinner.

I'm a single parent so I am entitled to tax credits at a maximum of £300 a week.

Do you think it is worth looking for a nanny? Can you use tax credits with a nanny? Are nannies looking for well off people who can provide them with a car ect? As that is definitely not me! I live in a small flat at the moment. I live in London by the way.

Any advice? Oh the 2 year old will be 3 in January and entitled to the 15 hours free nursery care. So that will help. I am really confused and thinking that I will not be able to do my NQT year because of the costs.

Any advice or information about different childcare would be greatly appreciated.

kindlegeek Sat 11-May-13 20:45:56

Yep the year is nearly up. No I bring all food for my mum as well. She would be happy to give good but I feel she is doing so much already and I feel bad, so the least I can do is bring their food! I asked cm but she prefers not to, as its more to worry about.

I'm praying that I like her sister in law! But really don't want to use 2 different childcare for them (my mum doesn't count-she's grandma). Though its something I might have to do.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply smile

nannynick Sat 11-May-13 21:33:09

It is great that your mum has been able to help you. Pity that won't continue as finding care for 5 days is going to be costly and you may need several people providing that care.

Hope meeting the other childminder goes well. Maybe they would do food and maybe they would do all 5 days.

LastOrdersAtTheBra Sat 11-May-13 21:49:01

I don't think your situation is impossible. I know a couple of childminders who do term times only, they have older DC of their own and like getting to spend the holidays doing stuff with them, without any toddlers in tow. Have you tried advertising at your eldest DC's school? Theoretically a childminder who had DC there, might want to do drop off, pick up and mind the younger 2 during the day.

kindlegeek Sat 11-May-13 21:57:46

Thank you, I hope it goes well too.

I never even thought to ask the school, I have been reading the adverts, never thought to put one up asking for cms to contact me. On Monday I will ask, wonder if they charge? Thanks for the idea. I'm staying positive, something will arise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now