This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it legal to look after someone else's DC for free?

(5 Posts)
nannynick Mon 06-May-13 21:55:46

Legislation

As long as there is no form of money changing hands, or money worth like vouchers or buying shopping to an agreed value, then it's fine.

mrsthomsontobe Mon 06-May-13 21:14:34

Are u sure? I'm sure as long as no money exchanges hands then friends are allowed to help each other out with childcare

AuntieStella Mon 06-May-13 21:07:44

Depends where she's doing it. If she is going to the friend's house, then no nannies don't need registrations. If in her own house, it's OK to park your children with a friend occasionally, but this sounds beyond that and CMs need to be registered.

mrsthomsontobe Mon 06-May-13 21:07:28

Yes as long as no money exchanges hands then it should be fine. As Such a close family friend will be watching child it will be like a grandparent watching the child . Which is lovely.

aamia Mon 06-May-13 21:04:09

My cousin was telling me today that a close family friend (think retired lady in 60s) has offered to look after her new baby for her when she goes back to work two days a week. That sounds amazing and will enable her to work, plus the baby will be loved and cossetted like family. Is it ok Ofsted-wise etc though? Cousin thinks that since no money will be changing hands, it'll be ok??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now