This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's the going rate for babysitters these days?

(10 Posts)
BornToFolk Sun 05-May-13 14:54:40

Evening babysitting, probably no actual childcare involved as both kids would be in bed, from 7.30 til about midnight. We're in the SE if that makes any difference to anything!

Normally my mum babysits but she can't do it and my childminder recommended someone. Just wondered what a fair rate was!

GiveMumABreak Sun 05-May-13 15:45:13

Around here we pay £5 per hour (or part thereof) so 7.30 till midnight would be £25.

Takver Sun 05-May-13 16:10:45

We pay £10 for a short evening (say 8pm to 10.30-11pm) and £15 for a long one (so maybe 8 - midnight). One just 11 y/o, so no childcare, just being around in case of emergencies.

We're in a rural low wage area, and generally for a 'proper' job waitressing or in a shop, teens would earn minimum wage, which is currently £3.68 for an under 18.

Our babysitter always seems very happy and comes back, so I guess it is ok! She does also say that our house is quieter than hers for getting her homework done grin

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-May-13 18:20:11

guess depends if you want a teenager (cheap) or a qualified nanny

as a qualified nanny i charge £10ph and have a minimum of 4 hrs regardless if they use me - which tbh most do stay out 5/6hrs

Runoutofideas Sun 05-May-13 20:31:59

I paid a uni student £30 for similar hours this weekend.

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 05-May-13 20:32:03

we usually pay £15 for upto 2hrs, (eg emergency short term rescue if one of us is running late home and the other has to go out or go to work) then around £7 an hor but rounded up to nearest £5. i probably pay over the going rate but for minimum level 3 qualified nursery staff or our lovely unqualified but v experienced nanny. they alway say yes when i ask so i think i am doing it right. I'd pay a teenager/student £5-6 an hour

ps always offer unlimited biscuits, snacks, tea coffee etc etc as well

BornToFolk Sun 05-May-13 20:54:52

Lovely, thanks! I do have someone in mind (recommended by DS's childminder but not qualified herself) So does £30 for the evening sound reasonable?

Jessica333 Mon 06-May-13 13:24:21

A friend of mine uses Sitters agency and their rate is £6.50 per hour on week nights, £7 p\hr on weekends and £8 p/hr for day booking (when normal nanny duties are involved). But she does have a favourite baby sitter and she pays her more because they kids want her to come back and always ask for her smile

nannynick Mon 06-May-13 14:32:36

If comparing with an agency, you need to add in the agency fees which can involve a quarterly/annual membership plus a per booking fee. When arranging babysitting directly with the babysitter you do not have those agency fees, so the per hour rate could be higher.

lechatnoir Mon 06-May-13 20:48:20

Teenagers usually £5/hr, I charge £6.50/hr (CM) & the nanny I know locally charges £10/hr - all minimum 3 hours & usually rounded up a bit. Tea, coffee, biscuits a must grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now