This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would an au pair do this?

(7 Posts)
OutragedFromLeeds Fri 03-May-13 21:24:30

I think her friend could avoid paying minimum wage if she contributes to the au pairs keep. As long as you're providing living arrangements I don't think they have to be in your own house for it to count as a live-in job e.g. where you have a house that you let and the nanny or au pair has a room in it paid for by you.

I could be talking rubbish though so do look into it OP....

NomDeClavier Fri 03-May-13 20:42:50

Sorry listed instead of going bank to check.

Your friend would need to pay min wage. Also because you need every second Saturday that's not going to give them weekends free, but with school runs they can't have a day off in the week....

NomDeClavier Fri 03-May-13 20:41:54

You would need to pay them min wage if you're not hosting them so there may not be that much cost saving benefit.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 03-May-13 14:28:12

Theoretically it could work, but there would be a lot of potential for things to go wrong so I think you'd need to have a really tight contract with your friend so you both know exactly what is expected/who is responsible for what etc.

eeyore12 Fri 03-May-13 07:26:00

As long as the hours don't add up to typically more than 25 (au pair) 35 ( au pair plus) then I would think it would work well.

Lumley36 Fri 03-May-13 06:54:55

Perhaps you could approach a college or university? Foreign students often need accommodation / work?

I'm an soon to be self employed lone parent of dd aged 2, I will need two evenings a week and every 2nd saturday child care and have space for someone to live in. My friend who lives a few streets away needs help doing school runs and a couple of other bits for of dc 4&6. Au pair would never have 3 dc at same time as I would continue to use nursery for day time care. Would this work or is it too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now