This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Non-napping child

(10 Posts)
Nicknamefail Tue 30-Apr-13 21:36:59

Hi, am being a little premature as dd is nearly 7mo and won't be going to go to her cm until she is 11 mo but she is a crazy non napper unless being pushed in the buggy, or being worn in a sling. She also only does half an hr naps. I am hoping things are going to improve over the next 4 months, but if they don't, will my cm sack me and dd?

doughnut44 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:39:56

she would be mad if she did!!!! I have one that doesn't nap for very long - it's just one of those things. I tire him out in the morning and now he sleeps for anything between half an hour and 2 hours. Don't worry - an experienced minder will cope x

ReetPetit Tue 30-Apr-13 21:40:37

she may, she may not! it depends how experienced she is and how much she wants the work!

you have a lot of time to sort this out - 4 months to get her used to not being rocked/worn.

None of the cms I know personally would do the sling business, rocking, yes maybe, but they would encourage child to self settle as much as possible so as not to disrupt other mindees.

You may find a cm (there are some on this site!) who will happily do all the things you do with your dd but your best bet is to use the time you have to get her out of any 'bad habits' to make the transition into childcare as easy as possible for all concerned.

ReetPetit Tue 30-Apr-13 21:41:55

and also, meant to say - most mindees are completely different for us!
They know how to wrap their mums round their little finger wink

Thurlow Tue 30-Apr-13 21:46:41

DD was a pretty crappy napper at 7mo. About a fortnight before she was due to go to the CMs she started napping well in her cot. I swear she knew! By 11mo most babies seem to have mastered napping on their own. And it really isn't a cliche, children really do very different things at the CMs. It's like they just know they aren't going to get a long snuggly nap on someone's lap, so they don't demand it. At home with soft touch mummy, however... grin

Nicknamefail Tue 30-Apr-13 21:55:09

Thank you lovely people. Know I am a soft touch so even if she's not improved hopefully my cm (whom I love already!) will let her know who is the boss!

Karoleann Tue 30-Apr-13 22:31:16

7m is a difficult age (but very sweet) all mine had much more of a routine of 11m. So I wouldn't really worry too much.

You can help your little one self soothe by putting her down awake (but tired) and letting her self settle. You can also do a shush pat when she is in her cot (pat her on her front and say shush!!).

You can't expect a childminder to wear a sling or rock a baby to sleep. It wouldn't be very fair on her other children to do so.

Nicknamefail Wed 01-May-13 10:41:59

I wasn't expecting her to rock or wear her to sleep- that's why I was worried about being sacked!

lechatnoir Wed 01-May-13 13:24:44

One if my mindees never sleeps more than the odd half in a buggy or sling but settles in a cot for 1.5 hrs with me. Try stroking her face & 'shushing' when you put her down in the cot - takes patience initially but now LO goes off in about a minute doing this. They are often very different without mum grin

HSMMaCM Wed 01-May-13 20:59:13

I've just had a child for settling in this week who never sleeps more than half an hour at home. Her first map was an hour and a half, so I had to text her mum to ask what to do for the rest of the day. We agreed to follow the child and she was lovely.

What I am saying is ... Don't worry an experienced CM will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now