Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Mindee illness - should I tell parent it's spread even though I allowed her to attend?

(5 Posts)
lechatnoir Tue 30-Apr-13 21:02:37

Week before last one of my mindees had really bad diarrhoea, I kept her until the end of the day but asked she didn't attend the next day (Friday). Last Thursday she came back & was still lethargic with pretty vile nappies but not as bad so I allowed her to stay both days (mum insistent it was teething although I'm not convinced as she didn't show any other signs). Saturday my DH & ds1 came down with the runs & today I discovered mindees sister was off school with it for 2 days PLUS another mindee I had last Friday has also been ill all weekend hmm.

I'm kicking myself for not enforcing my 48hr exclusion policy (i felt bad about mum being off work again & couldn't be 100% it wasn't teething) but just wondered whether I should say anything to mum? I don't want to make her feel guilty but also think she needs to be aware next time I won't be so lenient & diarrhoea is excludable with or without accompanying sickness whether she thinks it's teething or not!

doughnut44 Tue 30-Apr-13 21:14:45

I think you have to let her know. make sure you stick to your guns if it happens again.

ReetPetit Tue 30-Apr-13 21:36:01

oh god, that's horrible. i have so many parents try it on like this - diarrhoea is the worst, spreads terribly and so awful to deal with!!

yes, i would tell her. if you can't face telling her face to face or feel awkward about it, send a letter home or an email or write it in child's diary. you can even send one round all parents reminding them of your exclusion policy.

As for feeling guilty about her missing work - don't! It's not your problem - she must have other people who can cover for her, a partner? family? It's not a childminders responsibility to deal with d & v!!

Thurlow Tue 30-Apr-13 21:40:58

I would want to know. I've occasionally sent DD in when she is under the weather because of issues missing work - the other week we accidentally sent her in with hand, foot and mouth blush - but I'd rather know. And I'd be fine with a CM that stuck to their guns and said no, really, I can't risk passing it on to other children. At the end of the day I like to think that DD isn't being deliberately exposed to D&V either!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-May-13 15:53:05

You may feel bad about mum having to take a day off work but does she feel guilty that you could lose income if ill from her child's bug?

Doubt it

48hrs is normally for a reason - and if parents try and blag it then remind them if you or your dc get ill you won't be looking after their dc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now