This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How can I make sure I am good employer for my nanny?

(10 Posts)
Nannyme1 Mon 01-Jul-13 09:43:18

I think the fact that you are asking means you will probably be a good employer!

If you can let nanny go home when you get home, like if you get home 30 minutes before her finish time (or even 5) and have done handover let her go, very annoying just having to find something to do cause you can't leave cause you've got 2 minutes until you finish work :/

Pay on time

Don't leave weekend mess for her to clean up

Don't think your life is more important than hers, if she has plans and you decide you want a babysit don't tell her to (or make her feel bad for not offering) change her plans

CarmineB Fri 17-May-13 23:26:06

The most I like from my bosses is their smiles; after a long day, if your boss arrives with a big smile, really happy to see you, and on time, and with flowers if it had been a hard week, it makes my day.

I would have wanted very frequent meetings; many things happen during their absence (good and bad)
I end up writing in a book key information of the day that most times is not read, or I text after work.

Discipline the children. It is impossible to work with children if parents let them do all they want. Less when they expect you to follow a rule and they do not apply it themselves.

Respect working hours. Do not send texts to your nanny after work or weekends asking for what had happened here and there.

Thanx for asking!

YompingJo Fri 03-May-13 09:58:46

Great, thank you for the tips.

Cathyrina Tue 30-Apr-13 19:59:37

Make sure to let her know if there is something you don't want to be eaten/ opened/ moved somewhere else etc., don't expect her to read your mind but rather say something twice (my boss loves to do this, she thinks she told me but she didn't!), say thank you and don't expect her to get used to do things that weren't meant to be part of the normal daily routine... I was never asked to do any cleaning but always did and in the beginning they always said thank you very much and were happy about ever little detail but now 1 year later they complain if I haven't cleaned this or that!

nannynick Tue 30-Apr-13 19:31:01

As others have said, timing is important. Your nanny needs to be good at timekeeping, not arriving late. You need to do the same, don't come home late.
If there is an issue, discuss it as soon as possible don't let it fester. Small irritations if lefy can become major issue.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 30-Apr-13 18:25:13

being paid on time

and not late back regularly are 2 major points

yes trains are delayed/bosses miss them etc - it happens and obviously we will stay later and try and be as flexible as possible

but rem we dont have a choice, its not as if we can leave at 6.30 and leave kids home alone

and as eeyore says dont ring at 6.15pm saying still at office when should have left at 5.30pm to be home at 6.30pm

thank you every now and again

dont undermind the nanny and we will back the parents up

in short treat your nanny as you would expect and want your employer to treat you

the fact you are even asking and checking means a lot and sure you will be a lovely mb smile

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Tue 30-Apr-13 17:18:51

pay on time, don't be late home (and if you are, always pay overtime or give time back in lieu), let her go early occasionally if you can - even if only 10mins, tell her to help herself to contents of fridge/cupboards (but if there is something that you don't want her to eat, make sure she knows)

eeyore12 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:49:02

Try not to be late home or if you are going to be don't ring 2 mins before you are due in to say you are still at work 1 hr away! If you want a good handover at the end of the day be home in time for it, don't make the nanny stay after her finishing time for 10/15/20 mins for handover.

Don't forget the nanny has a life to and wants to finish on time as much as possible as may have plans or just wants to go home esp if had a busy day with a terrible twos 2 yr old.

Say thank you when they go home if not every day most days.

Back up the nanny so if the children have asked for something and nanny has said no and explained why, if they ask you say the same or at least 'nanny' is here so you need to ask her. So the children know who is in charge when and that they will get the same answer from everyone. If you are home early and with the children let nanny go early if possible.

If you are home early and have stuff to do, leave nanny to the children and their normal routine.

Can you tell I have had issues with my employers before!

rubyslippers Tue 30-Apr-13 15:48:57

keep lines of communication open

it is a business relationship although it often doesn't feel like it

for example, i always re-iterate to my nanny she is free to eat whatever she wants from the fridge and if she takes the kids out for a treat she should get something for herself too from kitty money

when i can, i let her go early

show her appreication and thanks especially if the kids have been challenging!

we have yearly reviews and pay reviews

she's been with us 3 years - we did have a lot of teething problems in the ealry days but that seems to be behind us

it's give and take IME

and pay her on time!!!

YompingJo Tue 30-Apr-13 15:46:10

We have hired a live-out, part time nanny. I have sorted out a contract and we know about paying her tax and NI. She will have lunch here with my little girl and the structure of the days (ie what they do, where they go) will be largely up to her, with a pre-agreed kitty for expenses.

I am very conscious that I am going to be her employer, and it is important to me when I am at work that my employers value me. So I wanted to ask those of you with nannying experience - what makes you feel valued? How can I make sure that I am a good employer and that she is happy working for me?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now