Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Charges for a babysitter?

(10 Posts)
LooseyMy Mon 29-Apr-13 22:40:37

I pay my teenage niece £20 for a night for 7 year old ds, plus about £10 in snacks!

NaturalBaby Mon 29-Apr-13 22:35:17

I'd happily sit in a quiet home ignoring my housework for £6 per hour! It's hard to work out what other people are charging locally, I have been very fortunate to have never paid for a babysitter so have no idea what the going rate is! Think I need a chat with the mums at school in the morning.

chickydoo Mon 29-Apr-13 22:32:59

My DD is 17, babysits for local families during evenings, weekends, holiday times etc. She has done a 1st aid course & has lots of experience looking after little ones. She charges £6.00 per hour and £8.00 after midnight.
Maximum no of children is 3 day time & 4 in the evening.
She makes a lot of money.

NaturalBaby Mon 29-Apr-13 22:28:22

I mean I'm offering a few hours during the day between the school run or in the evening after extra curricular activities.

nannynick Mon 29-Apr-13 22:26:13

Fit in with running around? Would you not be at the child's house, just caring for them?

Not sure a parent wanting a babysitter would want you ferrying around the child to whatever evening activities your children are doing.

Thurlow Mon 29-Apr-13 22:04:06

If it was during the daytime and the DC was awake I'd pay more, but I have to be honest and say if it is for an evening, going out once she's in bed, I find it hard to pay £6-8 for a professional sitter. As the others have said, a teenager will do it for £20. When they are doing nothing but sitting in to the house listening to DD snore over the monitor, it's hard to justify paying much more.

NaturalBaby Mon 29-Apr-13 21:56:15

What would you charge for evening babysitting? I have 3 dc's of my own so am looking for 1 child to babysit at the moment to fit in with all my running around.

nannycaz Mon 29-Apr-13 17:21:46

Thats my problem at the moment.
I work as a nanny and have been looking to do occasional babysitting, but families seem to want to pay £15 and have the local teenager for the evening rather than pay my rate

nannynick Mon 29-Apr-13 16:35:06

Probably £5-£8 an hour, for care of all the children in the family, not per child. Your competition may well been teenagers, who may accept £20 for the evening. Look at what other people in your area are offering/wanting.

NaturalBaby Mon 29-Apr-13 16:10:18

I'm currently registering as a childminder and looking for babysitting work to fill the time before I can start work as a childminder. Childminders in my area charge around £4 per hour so I'm wondering what to charge as a babysitter. I'm offering a few hours during the day and evening/weekends as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now