Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it right for Mother to charge her son £300 p/m for child care -she is a f/t childminder

(79 Posts)
ImNotAMumSoWhatDoIKnow Sun 28-Apr-13 10:41:15

My friend is 7 months pregnant. her Mother-in-law is a full time child minder.

Is it fair/acceptable for Grandma to charge her son & daughter-in-law £300 p/m for 9-5pm child care?

Be really interested in yr thoughts on this as I can't commit to an opinion!

Thanks ladies.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 28-Apr-13 12:13:46

What should Childcare cost though? And how do you propose to reduce the cost?
Do you cut quality?
Do you cut wages - most nursery workers earn close to the minimum wage!

It costs what it does because people have to earn a living from it. And it is a responsible and important job.

ParmaViolette Sun 28-Apr-13 12:24:20

Clara she was a checkout worker- who cut down her hours, and my granddad changed his shift patterns.

My situation is rare- helping out is the done thing in my family as we all live close. My mum now she is on a good wage contributes to my nan (DFG died a few years ago) bills and takes her out and about to thank her for all she did.

But that's why I have a warped view on this topic!

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 12:24:33

I think the OP is a friend of the family in question, and has heard people in RL expressing opinions like you shouldn't charge family anything so wondered what other people thought.

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Sun 28-Apr-13 12:29:37

"My situation is rare- helping out is the done thing in my family "

not rare. familes all over the world help each other out where possible. unfortunately the way things are especially now lots of grandparents still very much need their whole wage and cant afford to take a cut to be free childcare. that doesn't mean they dont want to, just that they physically couldn't survive with a pay cut.

MortifiedAdams Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31:04

Yes it is acceptable.

My DM is a FT CM and I pay her £200 pcm. Whilst DD doesnt go there for forty hours a week, I work shifts, so she could go any time up to forty hours on any of the five days. DD gets three.meals a day there (if there all day), plus snacks, drinks, toddler groups and other trips.out.

It is astoundingly good value, and I would have paidmore but DM didnt even want to take the £200.

Im taking up a full time.place. I want to pay my way.

mummytime Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31:28

The only ways child care in the UK could be cheaper are: a) even more massively than present, underpay the workers; b) have far worse child -adult ratios; c) for the government to massively subsidise.

Rents in the UK are high, which adds to costs too.

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31:32

"My situation is rare- helping out is the done thing in my family "

This is helping out. The grandmother is giving up a significant amount of earnings in order to help her son.

expatinscotland Sun 28-Apr-13 12:53:10

She's helping out big time by charging only £300/month for a FT place. She has bills to pay, too.

Delayingtactic Sun 28-Apr-13 14:04:29

If my mom did this, she would in effect be giving us close to £700 per month. That is helping out by anyone's standard. I feel a bit sorry for the MIL if people think she is being mean by charging a token amount.

My parents help out loads, even using annual leave for my DS on occasion. But they just couldn't afford to give up that amount of money per month.

heronsfly Sun 28-Apr-13 14:08:55

I think its fair, I'm thinking of giving up 2 days work a week to look after one of my dgc and his parents are going to pay me what i am losing out,I would never expect paying for babysitting if they go out etc, but this will be a job to me.

nenevomito Sun 28-Apr-13 14:12:09

I pay my parents for childcare and its not even their business. It costs money to look after a child and using parents as unpaid labour is unfair.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 28-Apr-13 14:23:16

I'm a CM and used to look after my nephew one day a week. My DSis has had another baby and I cannot offer to have them both for nothing now my business is kicking off.
My youngest nephew would take up a valuable under 1 space and the eldest (2.5) would take another EYFS space.

I'm not being mean I am running a business. I wouldn't dream of asking her to give up work to look after my children!

I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to look after my children full time for nothing. Looking after little ones is hard work! Why do people feel entitled to this service from grandparents?

When I had my first MIL and DM offered to have DS1, and looked after him for one day a week each 8.20am- 4pm. It was such a privilege. But that's all it was not expected or guaranteed. When my Mum withdrew the offer when I was expecting I was hmm but because I thought she enjoyed it (and I was hormonal) I think she did enjoy it but would've found two too much.

Now I prefer my children to go to their grandparents to be enjoyed rather than looked after. And that's why I set up my CM business so I am not reliant on anyone.

I think the person you are talking about is very lucky to have a grandparent looking after her child. Even if it costs £300!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 28-Apr-13 18:30:43

300pm is amazing-many would pay 300 per week for those hours

the granny has a business and by charging about a 1/4 of what she could earn is very considerate to her daughter and taking a huge loss in what she could earn if charging full rates

grandparents shouldnt be obliged or expected to look after their grandchildren

Borntobeamum Sun 28-Apr-13 20:13:55

I'm a cm and I look after my Gs.
I do charge my DD, though a lesser rate.
I also don't charge if he's off at all ie ill or on holiday.
I follow the EYFS and am doing the 2 year development check, just as I would on any other child.

ReetPetit Sun 28-Apr-13 22:00:35

have no idea if this is really about your friend - but - if you are the one who is getting the f/t childcare for £300, thank your lucky stars for your amazing mother! and if you are the mother who is providing the childcare, wow, you are very generous. Even though it is your grandchild, you are still providing a full time space for probably 1/3 of it's worth...

And if it is really a friend, tell her she is getting an amazingly good deal and to make sure she shows her mum how grateful she is.

Another point, this mother can still claim tax credits/childcare vouchers can't she, even though it's a grandparent providing care because the grandparent is registered? in which case she's getting basically free f/t childcare!!

mumtolilh Sun 28-Apr-13 22:11:57

That's cheap for full time!!!
I would do it but my mil is a b** so I wouldn't even let her do it for free so lucky them!!! lol
As long as bubba is in good care that is ;)

anewyear Mon 29-Apr-13 11:02:44

ImNotAMumSoWhatDoIKnow "quote, child care in the UK is staggering and way more than it should be"

I love remarks like this, nobody ever actually steps up and says how much they think childminders should charge.

So come on then, what do you lot out there, who think childminders charge too much, how much do you think we should charge then?

mummytime Mon 29-Apr-13 11:39:27

anewyear I don't want you to charge less! Well unless the government subsidised it. In other countries there is often a huge subsidy and/or much worse quality provision.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 29-Apr-13 16:24:34

anewyear that comment pissed me off too!

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 29-Apr-13 16:25:22

Not your mummytime!
You were just answering how it could be done.

caramelwaffle Mon 29-Apr-13 16:38:14

£300. Bargain.

caramelwaffle Mon 29-Apr-13 16:38:52

£300? Bargain.

anewyear Mon 29-Apr-13 19:25:20

To be honest I dont care!!
People on here that go on and on about how much childcare/childminders charge, and how its not fair,
All Im asking is, ok how much do you think you should pay, why that should that piss you off hmm

nannyof3 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:28:05

Yes.. They wudnt get child are cheaper anywhere else... Theve got a bargin!!!!!!

Booh Mon 29-Apr-13 19:43:19

Utter bargain

I charge £300 a week for a full time space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now