This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hourly nanny rate Wiltshire for multiple children

(16 Posts)
baileyslover Sat 27-Apr-13 15:58:25

Just that really, I am looking at returning to work, and need to determine if financially viable!
The position would be for 2 days, 12 hour days 8-8. Year old triplets and almost 3 year old before and after 9-3 preschool.
I was thinking £8 gross for 6 hours with triplets alone, increasing to £10 for 6 hours when older son around as well. Would I need to pay a antisocial hours surcharge for 6-8pm as well?
Aware need to pay employers NI over this, and cover car insurance, food/trips et.c, but are there any other hidden charges I have overlooked?
Thanks

iluvkids Sat 27-Apr-13 16:02:29

Nanny rates do not vary on the number of children

rubyslippers Sat 27-Apr-13 16:03:14

£8 gross sounds low

Aldwick Sat 27-Apr-13 16:07:01

£8 sounds very low considering you'd probably be wanting someone with good multiples experience and not many nannies like to finish as late as 8. I would ask around to find out what the going hourly rate is locally then add a couple of pounds to it.

forevergreek Sat 27-Apr-13 16:07:41

So all 4 children from one family? That's one rate then.

£8 gross sounds low. I would say £10-12 gross. More like 12 gromontuno tbh as it sounds like 4 children age 3 and under?

forevergreek Sat 27-Apr-13 16:10:51

Oh yes, 8-8 isn't antisocial hours for a nanny, but you may find less people interested as 8pm is later than most.

I saw an almost identical job in London last month which was £14 net per hr (£17 ish gross I think)

So to allow for Wiltshire rates £12-14 gross . Mainly only experienced nannys would take on 4 close on age hence higher rate.

baileyslover Sat 27-Apr-13 16:10:59

Where would I find out about local rates? I was thinking 8 when only the triplets, rising to 10 when caring for my older son, and possibly to 12 for the 6-8pm hours, so £112 daily rate

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 27-Apr-13 16:15:13

A job with one child may pay less than a job with 4 children, but nanny rates don't differ per hour in relation to how many children the nanny has at that time.

I don't know the rates for Wiltshire. Have a look on childcare.co.uk, nannyjob.co.uk or ring around some local agencies/look on local agency websites to get an idea of the going rate. £8ph gross sounds quite low.

One-year old triplets and a 3 year old is probably going to need above the going rate tbh as it'll be a much more demanding role than many others.

In London you'd be looking at £12-14ph gross I would think.

nannynick Sat 27-Apr-13 16:43:35

Quite a while ago, I had a job at around £8 gross, even had one at £7ish gross. So it depends on what the person needs to earn. Some people may accept that sort of figure... though I'm not sure they would to care for baby/toddler triplets as it is a lot of work involved as you know yourself.

Have a look at local job listings on sites like NannyJob and also look at what nannies are looking for salary wise on sites like Childcare.co.uk (change location to your postcode to get a better list) Note that the figures they give may be Net, rather than gross... some adverts will say Net or Gross, others won't say so hard to know as some nanny agencies still advertise jobs as Net and some nannies still think in terms of Net wage.

Different pay rates, different times of the day and different when the number of children changes sounds complex to me. Keep it as simple as possible... so you and the nanny know what is being paid.

£120 a day (so £10 gross per hour, 12 hours per day) is probably realistic. Though you may find someone who will accept less. It just depends on your local market - are there many nannies in your area looking for work?

Are you providing a car? You mention car insurance, so I guess you are.

Sunshine2013 Sat 27-Apr-13 17:06:35

When I first started nannying in Wiltshire I was paid 6ph, similar to what I got paid working in the nursery and I was happy as I wanted the experience and a good reference. 5 years on I charge 8-10 gross. So you are not to far out unless you want someone with more than 5 years experience. Nannys dont don't charge by child so the rate should be the same throughout the day. Triplets are a lot of work so 10 gross I think would be fair if you want a good candidate but when we recruited my last replacement she charged 7 gross was in her 30's with 7 years experience so you should find someone for your budget.

baileyslover Sat 27-Apr-13 17:14:19

Thanks everyone, could afford £10 an hour I think, but any more than that I might as well put them with my current childminder as she charges £3.50 an hour per child, but would be a hassle as would have to sort out drop off/collection.

baileyslover Sat 27-Apr-13 17:16:26

nannynick we thought we would probably have to provide a car as didn't want to restrict possible candidates to those with a car that can transport the 4 car seats!

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 27-Apr-13 17:19:22

Would your childminder have space for 3 1 yr olds and a nearly 3 yr old?

baileyslover Sat 27-Apr-13 17:48:50

Outraged, haven't fully investigated it with her, as would much prefer a nanny, but think she could, as not looking until later in the year. Think the regulations are 3 under 5, however know she said she could apply for special consideration from ofsted as they are multiples.

Megsdaughter Sat 27-Apr-13 18:19:47

I get £10.00 per hour net, for a 2 year old and a 4 years (elder at preschool 9-1) in Wilts. and Only work 8-5.

2plus1 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:46:08

We pay £10 gross an hour for our multiples and eldest and will continue this when the eldest starts school. We also felt the need to supply our car just so that we didn't restrict candidates who couldn't transport all of the children. We found our first candidate who had 15+ years of nanny experience but to be honest could not cope with our toddlers. Our next nanny we found was so much more suited to having multiples as she had years of nursery experience so had the ability to engage several similar aged children at once without being overwhelmed. She has had one previous nanny job so some experience of sole charge.

I would emphasise on finding the right nanny for your family. If it is like our household it is a very busy role with lots of noise and energy which can be overwhelming for some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now