This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

recommend a nanny agency?

(13 Posts)
EverybodysStressyEyed Fri 26-Apr-13 22:29:22

My youngest starts school this year so from September I am looking for a nanny housekeeper (emphasis on the nanny). We are in London.

Can anyone recommend an agency? The one I used last time is no longer open.

I like Abbeville, from a nanny POV anyway. I think they tend to cover SW, SE and W London mostly (though not exclusively) so it depends where you are.

iluvkids Sat 27-Apr-13 16:02:58

Eden nannies is fab

Victoria2002 Sat 27-Apr-13 23:16:46

Most agencies interview nannies VERY briefly. When I first went interviewing I was nervously thinking of smart things to say and was very surprised to be faced with a lady briskly ticking boxes eg: "live in or out?' 'Pets ok'? 'Will you travel' 'do you drive' and very little else plus they barely reference check at all AND if you return to the agency years later they don't even meet face to face again, just add a paragraph to your cv...SO I guess what I'm saying is that you need to choose one with plenty of nannies and in your area but do your own referencing and background checks. Eden, kensington nannies and Nannies of st James were some of the longer interviews I had.

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 28-Apr-13 17:35:15

Oh no! That's not what I wanted to hear!

I only have a week to find someone so I was hoping the agency would have done all of that so all I needed to do was meet the candidates and read their written references.

Has anyone used little ones?

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 28-Apr-13 17:36:19

I feel like I've contradicted myself as I didn't mention that I Also need to find a temporary nanny to fill in until September.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Sun 28-Apr-13 20:14:30

I've used Eden and Imperial as an employer. Both were fine but both seemed to pretty much limit themselves to emailing the job to all their registered candidates rather than proactively contacting individuals on their books who met the criteria. I expected a bit more but might be being unrealistic here.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Sun 28-Apr-13 20:15:06

I'm confused about who you want to start when?

EverybodysStressyEyed Sun 28-Apr-13 20:21:14

Sorry I was being a bit vague in my OP just to get an idea of agencies

I need a nanny housekeeper to start in September so plenty of time

I also need a temporary nanny to start ASAP as my current childcare has ended unexpectedly.

The September role is obviously the more important as we would hope this to be a long term role and I would like to use the same agency for both hence not mentioning the temp role in my OP. (Sorry for confusion).

Eden were looking for me last time but they ended up throwing a load of inappropriate candidates at me which I then had to sift through. The agency I eventually went through were much more thoughtful in who they referred but have unfortunately closed down.

Forresitters Mon 29-Apr-13 10:51:42

What area are you? I have experience with several agencies that I can recommend for you

EverybodysStressyEyed Mon 29-Apr-13 11:36:41

Nw london

Victoria2002 Tue 30-Apr-13 06:50:30

Sorry, but it's true. Also true with imperial especially that as a nanny you just check the agency website regularly for new posts then contact the agent if you are keen and they email your CV...not really personalised service!

FruttiDiMadre Tue 30-Apr-13 10:51:44

Try Nadia at North London Nannies. I honestly think she is fab.
I also found Tinies pretty good. I really don't like Eden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now