This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Baby injured at childminders - advice needed please

(213 Posts)
EmilyD2012 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:03:05

My DS (10mo) returned from the childminders on Tuesday evening suffering from sunburn. Overnight his face swelled up badly, by Wednesday morning his face was horrific - bright red and he couldn't open his left eye because it was so swollen. We took him to A&E and were told he was most likely suffering an allergic reaction to something or severe sunburn.

After giving him antihistemines and pain relief we were discharged and his face slowly started to deflate. Yesterday afternoon his skin started to blister and, by the evening, was weeping constantly. I took him to the doctors who said that he was suffering from serious sunburn to the face. I asked the childminder how long he had been out in the sun for and she said it had been 30 minutes at most. The doctor disputed this and said that it was very unlikely to have such a dramatic reaction to just 30 minutes in the sun. It is only April, after all.

The childminder is a friend of mine and has always been brilliant with my DS (she has a baby the same age). No part of me thinks that she would have deliberately let him come to any harm. That said, the last 48 hours have been horrendous. Every time I look at my baby my heart breaks. His face is a mass of blisters and open wounds. His left eye looks like it could bruise. I've been given hydrocortisone cream to treat the skin but every time I touch him he screams in pain. Last night I put him to bed and wept.

Today, the childminder came round and saw for herself what a terrible state he is in. I didn't want to make her feel worse than she no doubt already is, but equally felt it was important for her to see that I wasn't exaggerating when I contacted her from the doctors yesterday.

I just don't know what to do. Some of my friends say that such a careless act is unforgivable and I should never leave my DS with her again. Others are more forgiving and say that, after seeing him, she has surely learnt her lesson.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. What would you do?

Thank you x

Struckachord Sun 12-May-13 21:39:05

This happened to me - on holiday in June on a bright but not hot day. OP I thought I was scarred for life but it was fine. I do now wear factor 25+ religiously :-)

twojues Sun 12-May-13 19:49:21

How's your little one now? Is his skin healing well?

duchesse Tue 30-Apr-13 09:39:33

Devon here. Last Tuesday certainly wasn't "hot", in fact quite the reverse, but it was very sunny, just like today. I can actually hear weeds growing in the garden now...

bishboschone Tue 30-Apr-13 08:06:55

Sussex here

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 29-Apr-13 20:49:17

kent lol

also sunny sat, sun and today grin

nokidshere Mon 29-Apr-13 20:17:45

OP I hope your son recovers quickly.

To the people who are saying how hot it was on Tuesday I want to know where you live!!!!

It has been sunny here for a few days over the past week,or so but it is still freezing cold!!!

bishboschone Sun 28-Apr-13 15:44:05

I'm not sure what region you are in but I was caught out by the sun on Tuesday and I'm ashamed to say my ds got burnt. We were at farm with suncream on and were stationary in a sandpit for probably half an hour . His face was very red in one part but has almost faded and gone today. He wears glasses and I feel the part of his face that got burnt was where the sun was magnified somehow on his face as his friends without suncream weren't burnt at all. I can't tell you how guilty I feel but it's a lesson learned . I'm admittedly quite blasé about the sun and feel having a bit of sun is good for them but I hugely underestimated how hot it was . I hope your son's face is better soon.

cumfy Sun 28-Apr-13 15:42:59

Yes, but they're not saying we were expecting level 5 UV but wholly unexpectedly recorded level 10s.

They make it sound like there's a hole in the ozone over the UK, or something that makes the UV levels inexplicably outside that normally expected.

The people who are expert at UV levels is the Met Office not public health bods.

It states on that link

PHE has raised a sunburn warning after measurements of ultraviolet (UV) radiation at sites across the UK revealed unusually high levels.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/spring-sun-advice-from-public-health-england

cumfy Sun 28-Apr-13 13:33:03

Those links are odd sillymilly!

They link back to this .gov site

1. It doesn't specify what these "abnormal" levels of UV actually are.

2. It doesn't give the normal Met Office type advice for this time of year which is generally:

It might feel cool but the strength of the Sun is now exactly the same as a scorching hot day in mid-August.

3. It also tries to conflate the temperature with the strength of the Sun implying cold temperatures necessitate low UV. Completely false.

Basically I would be very surprised if the Met Office formally endorse that this is in anyway abnormal for late-April.

http://news.uk.msn.com/trending-blog/health-chiefs-issue-sunburn-warning-uk-weather-385619

There is now a warning out re high uv levels

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/spring-sun-advice-from-public-health-england

Trying2bMindful Sun 28-Apr-13 01:35:50

I haven't read all the posts as there are so many but just want to say my 11 mo got badly burnt on Tuesday in the sun. I'm sacking my nanny as it is the final straw after a long list of issues.
I hope your LO recovers soon.
IMO bad sunburn in April on such a young child is unforgivable in the UK....

tazzle Sat 27-Apr-13 20:43:56

I am really sorry yor LO has experienced such a level of sunburn, glad it is not going to scar and hope he is feeling better.

I can certainly understand needing or wanting to have someone take responsibility for this happening. .. most people do especially where babies are involved

If it was a month later and sunny I bet all of us would invariably have applied sunscreen and / or put hat on. There have been many many people caught out by Tuesday... a very cold morning not long after freezing weather turning very suddenly warm....but where we were not even warm enough to remove cardi or jumpers. I was out with walking group and tbh one of us... a very pale person with sensitive skin did get a bit red.... one a little pink... but rest of us ok. We were out for about two hours hottest part of day.

We were all very surprised anyone affected at all.

Maybe its something to do with more uv light getting through depleted ozone layer
Maybe also combined with sensitive skin.

Not saying cm has no responsibility at all...just that maybe she is not totally incompetent or a danger to children.

Lala29 Sat 27-Apr-13 20:11:15

I think you are being incredibly generous to your childminder. Whether its 30 mins or 2hrs, it's just way too long for a 10 month old baby who has never really experienced the sun in his life. If she went out without sun cream, she could have borrowed or bought some on the way or returned home. I can't believe anyone is defending this childminder at all. Friend or not, accident or not, your little boy has 2nd degree burns! She should be glad you are not pressing for a criminal convictions, let alone carrying on with your contract. After all, if I accidentally run over someone in my car, I can fully expect to be prosecuted!

By the way, I burned after an hour in the sun on Tuesday and I tan very well and have darkish skin. My husband, who has very fair skin can burn in the shade without suncream. So I can't believe any childminder out there wouldn't put suncream on children. It's irresponsible and stupid frankly. Surely you believing in the merits of it (little) or not is not the point. If the parent wants to use suncream on their child, that s what matters. The first thing I did on Tuesday was get suncream for my DD.

I am so glad your little boy will be ok. Big hugs and all my thoughts are with you.

LIZS Sat 27-Apr-13 19:08:17

Poor chap , do hope he recovers quickly. Personally I don't think either child should have been exposed to direct sunlight for even 30 minutes, especially without a hat or sunscreen or hood up on pram if napping. She sounds inexperienced , is her baby her first ? How many children has she minded before and have you had any other reason for concern ?

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 27-Apr-13 18:12:45

'I wont use sunscreen. It is potentially a bigger cause of skin cancer than the sun itself'

Have you got ANY evidence to support this? If it doesn't come from the Daily Mail, so much the better.

RescueCack Sat 27-Apr-13 18:07:07

We all burned on Tuesday, except 1 yo DS who was kept in the shade. Because he burned on Saturday blush

This sun is as fierce as summer and I think your childminder could well be telling the truth about 30 mins. HOWEVER, I think 30 mins is too long for a small child to be in direct sunlight. They need to be popping in and out of the shade constantly. My family are a bunch of burners and I've had burns like your poor baby up until my 20s most years because I simply couldn't believe how quickly the sunlight affects me. 10 minutes or less sometimes. And people were stopping me in the street to ask what had happened - it looked like I had had horrific accidents with boiling water sad I can't even hang the washing out without a cover up.

In little's defence, even with this background, I wont use sunscreen. It is potentially a bigger cause of skin cancer than the sun itself. That's from a dermatologist friend who begged us not to use it. There have been massive assumptions made about the causes of skin cancer.

I hope your little darling is feeling better soon. I feel sad every time I think of him sad.

tomorowisanotherday Sat 27-Apr-13 17:37:43

the baby could have been left in the shade for half an hour, but the sun could have been magnified off the greenhouse ( or reflected off a car)

there could be an innocent explanation, but that doesn't help the OP

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 27-Apr-13 15:18:38

Could your baby have been put outside for a nap in his pushchair?

Just can't understand how a CM could let this happen. hmm

(I am a CM myself and just would take the risk)

ProphetOfDoom Sat 27-Apr-13 13:35:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cherriesarered Sat 27-Apr-13 13:22:11

It's good that DS will be okay! I have to say that I would agree about the at least two hours business in the sun business as the only time I have ever burned like that I was out for 2 or more hours!

duchesse Sat 27-Apr-13 12:36:14

I swear that when I got burnt last Tuesday even though I didn't spend more than an hour at a time outside because I was shifting rocks and needed frequent breaks (every 45 mn or so). I got burned where my top rode up above my trousers so not constant exposure either.

I am old (45), I have already burned many times on my back (leathery), yet even I got burned in short bursts of outdoor activity on that day. I think the paediatrician may be wrong on this one (they aren't always right) so I would take what he said with a pinch of salt.

donttrythisathome Sat 27-Apr-13 11:59:32

Yes, 2 hours in the sun unprotected is dangerously ignorant.
So glad to hear he won't be scarred.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now