Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Reduced rates 3 children from the same family??

(8 Posts)
Brownowlahi Wed 24-Apr-13 21:01:03

I gave a really good discount to one of my families and am really annoyed with my self that I did that. I have 2 of their 3 children after school, the third is at nursery and i felt sorry for them how much Childcare they were paying. But they are taking up two of my places, eat loads, like to do crafts after school and I feel I'm not making a great deal of profit out of the arrangement. It has taught me to think very carefully about fees in future.

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Apr-13 17:46:26

I would be tempted to charge a bit less if any of the children are over 8 as they won't count in your ratios, if not though, I wouldn't. I made a bit of an error with the first family I worked with giving them a hefty discount for time when I had all 3 children. I wouldn't do it again for a new family. As said above, older children tend to eat more and family groups do argue more regularly.

ifmamaainthappy Wed 24-Apr-13 13:39:17

Happy with this so far, i don't really want to give a discount for the ratio reasons, just wondered if others did, i know of others in my area who do confused

minderjinx Wed 24-Apr-13 13:30:30

I have offered sibling discounts in the past but don't now. Siblings are often harder work (squabbling or fighting) plus they limit your flexibility and increase your risk (if one moves on, they all go at once).

HSMMaCM Wed 24-Apr-13 13:25:27

No sibling discounts here either.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 24-Apr-13 12:58:41

I definitely wouldn't offer a discount, they're still using 2 places, 2 car seats, 2 lots of food and mess! You could be getting full fee for that from another family. I don't do sibling discounts for any of mine and none have ever asked.

DeafLeopard Wed 24-Apr-13 12:45:43

Why do you feel you should? Will it cost less to look after these DCs? Will you need to do less paperwork etc?

The DCs nursery used to offer 5% off second siblings fees if you want an idea of what is offered.

ifmamaainthappy Wed 24-Apr-13 12:42:20

A new Mom has mentioned that she may require childcare in the school holidays for two of her children i don't look after, they are at school, i look after a toddler 1 day a week in school hours, I'm sure i should offer a discount, but how much?? Any advice so i'm prepared in advance Thank You

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now