This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Strangling injury at nursery

(14 Posts)
jamtoast12 Sat 27-Apr-13 21:46:01

So scary sad

I thought h&s regulations though only apply if the ribbons are looped? If they are open (like how they recommend window blinds should be) then I though that was fine? Clearly not in this case but rules wise?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 27-Apr-13 21:30:37

I would remove. How awful sad

AudreyParker Fri 26-Apr-13 14:11:08

Yes that case was the first thing I thought of too sad

I will update you when his Mum updates me.

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Fri 26-Apr-13 12:16:21

OP, I missed your 12:00:12 update. I am glad that she is lodging a complaint.

In terms of taking child out, it depends how easy it is to move to another nursery. The staff reaction is worrying as it may be reflective of the 'corporate culture', for lack of better words, at the nursery.

At any rate, I would only return child after said ribbons have been removed.

Pootles2010 Fri 26-Apr-13 11:52:11

Thought of just the same case Frequent, this happened very close to us, and we know people who were involved, it has been truly horrific. Please, please push this hard OP, could you ring ofsted/hse yourself?

I can't believe the nursery are upset she complained - have to say I'd be pulling ds out immediately.

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Fri 26-Apr-13 11:40:56

She must complain, for the safety of all the kids at nursery.

I am appalled that the nursery are annoyed. They should take this seriously.

It reminded me of this very recent story.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 25-Apr-13 19:08:26

I don't think this is as simple as 'accidents happen'. It wasn't an unavoidable accident. Ribbons hanging from a tree is a clear health and safety problem. Firstly they thought it was a good idea to hang ribbons from a tree, that's worrying. Secondly, they didn't bother to check or checked and did realise how low the ribbons were hanging. Thirdly, they obviously weren't watching the children close enough if he was able to get caught tight enough to leave a big mark. I would have serious, serious concerns about the competency of the management and the staff.

looneytune Thu 25-Apr-13 17:58:38

I would agree with doughnut44 IF they were handling it to my satisfaction i.e. taking it seriously. What has concerned me is where you have put '........unhappy that his Mum wants to make a complaint'.

doughnut44 Wed 24-Apr-13 13:36:53

If he is happy there then I wouldn't take him out. Accidents happen and its how you deal with them and take steps to ensure they won't happen again that matters as far as I am concerned. I recently had an incident with a child in my care Who managed to do something that I didn't think was possible
I did an incident report and got the parent to sign it (she didn't witness it infact no one did) followed by a new risk assessment and new policy.
They possibly didn't realise how low the ribbons were hanging but now they will double check everything whereas a new nursery may not

AudreyParker Wed 24-Apr-13 12:00:12

Oh she's definitely making the complaint. But she doesn't know whether to take him out and send him elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd trust them in future, although I suppose it means they won't make this mistake again.

idlevice Wed 24-Apr-13 12:00:09

This should be recorded as an incident at the nursery & their risk assessment reviewed. The parent should check this is happening & ask to see their risk assessment & how it approaches strangulation hazards. She may want to take advice from the HSE.

jojo1983 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:55:58

She should complain and loudly. If the nursery are not taking it seriously she should call ofsted ASAP! Hanging ribbons is so dangerous and should be removed before something more serious happens.

jumperooo Wed 24-Apr-13 11:51:45

She should make the complaint. An injury to a child caused by ribbons hanging from a tree at a place where people pay for children to be safely supervised? Worrying!

AudreyParker Wed 24-Apr-13 11:47:44

I've nced for this as it's about a mindee.

I look after a lovely little boy in the early mornings before dropping him at nursery. This morning his mum brought him to me with an awful, lurid red mark around his neck. Nursery had ribbons hanging from a tree and he'd become tangled in them, seemingly unsupervised.

She took him to the GP this morning and then left him with me while she spoke to the nursery manager. He's fine, the mark is awful but he's not in any pain. Nursery seemed surprised and unhappy that his Mum wants to make a complaint.

She doesn't know what to do now. He's not due back there until Monday. I don't know what to advise her, other than I don't think they're likely to make this type of error of judgement again (trailing looped ribbons from trees, I mean REALLY? ffs). I'm quite freaked by it tbh, the nursery has always seemed wonderful, it's on a farm and really well equipped and the staff are lovely, but this is just such a stupid and avoidable 'accident'.

Any thoughts? She's obviously quite distressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now