Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What's the best thing about your nanny?

(11 Posts)
berrycake Wed 24-Apr-13 03:21:28

I have just started a new job as a nanny for a 2 year old girl. This is my first time being a nanny (I have loads of experience working with children in other settings), and I just really want to be the best nanny I can.
So basically I just want to know what you think makes a great nanny. Any hints or tips from employers or nannies themselves are very appreciated. Thanks smile

Strix Wed 24-Apr-13 08:16:11

There are so many things I could say. I'll just choose one:

Know when to take the lead and when to step back.

I think that is one of the hardest things for a nanny to get right, but it is so important. I'm sure every employer is different so will you just need to work where yours is. But, sometimes parents want you to pick up the ball and run with it. And sometimes they want to be parents themselves and prefe you step back.

nannynick Wed 24-Apr-13 08:51:30

Be super reliable.

Emily28 Wed 24-Apr-13 09:18:15

I absolutely adore our nanny!
She doesn't overwhelm the kids with goodies but she makes them laugh and my kids are sad to watch me go but happy they'll be with her.
My 5-year-old sid: "mummy, she's family now so she has to come forever."
grin I think the best characteristic apart from reliability is that she's such a sweet girl and has earned my trust through making me feel the kids are in safe hands. And believe me I never thought I'd say this smile

PipsWife Wed 24-Apr-13 09:22:18

What I love about our nanny is she is flexible and communicates. We are all busy so even an email saying my dd has fallen today, little bruise and a cry but all is well now. Very reassuring.
Mine is French and I love that she speaks French to my dd which she is now speaking a little herself at 2yrs old!!
The fact that you're asking us shows that you care so you're already half way to being a great nanny grin

berrycake Thu 25-Apr-13 02:05:00

Thanks everyone.
Hopefully once I find my feet I will feel more confident.
The little girl has taken to me well which is great after only two days smile

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 25-Apr-13 21:45:16

I love the fact that our nanny does messy fun stuff with DD1 of the sort that I hate (glitter, paint, glue etc). she looks after my 2 for 2 afternoons/evening a week and they love coming home from nursery on the bus with her. Today they had a picnic tea in the garden and DD1 learned to play hopscotch.

she also does the washing up and cleans their bathroom and bedrooms and today had tided the baby's drawers and folded up all her clothes and put them away all neatly where I leave everything a bit of a mess

narmada Thu 25-Apr-13 22:55:03

We have a childminder so not a nanny but the principle's the same...

- She actually likes our kids and finds them loveable, and they like her too. That's got to be number one.
- She doesn't necessarily pack their day with endless activities and trips out, which I think is how it should be. Kids need to be bored sometimes smile
- She communicates clearly with us as parents - lets me know what is and isn't convenient for her, what is and isn't working. She offers spontaneous observations on DS's development.
- Not taking unscheduled time off unless it's really necessary - reliability.

I am sure you'll make a great nanny if you're bothered enough and proactive enough to come on here and ask for advice.

PowerPants Fri 26-Apr-13 01:15:50

Agree with nanny nick.

Lovingcarenanny Sat 04-May-13 11:33:02

Agree with all of the above, reliability is paramount, knowing when to let parents take the lead when they are around and when to step in will come naturally if you all communicate and get on well :-) Understanding that they are the parents and respecting their family values/routines/culture. Punctuality, I always leave extra time to get to work on a morning as would rather be sat outside in my car early rather than stressing because I'm running late or caught in traffic :-)
You sound like a lovely nanny, especially as the little one has taken to you within 2 days.

I've only been in my nanny job just over a week and one of the twins crawled after me when I left on the 3rd day, crying at the door for me...the parents text to say they already miss me when I go...it's a nice feeling knowing that you are doing am good job so early on :-)

Lovingcarenanny Sat 04-May-13 11:34:12

'a good job' sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now